Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by "Filip S. Adamsen" <fi...@stubkjaer-adamsen.dk> on 2004/08/22 20:41:27 UTC

Refactoring the validator scripts + adding maximum length constraints

I have refactored a lot of the common JavaScript needed to use client side
script validation into the Validator.js script.

I've done this too eliminate a lot of repetition in the generated client
side script. Validation-intensive pages could benefit from this. And since
the more of the JavaScript is now in a cacheable file, the throughput of an
application should improve.

Is there a reason that this hasn't been done before? Otherwise, I'd submit a
patch.

On a side-note, I've added maximum length constraints (using the
aforementioned enhancement) to all applicable validators. This solves bug
#29438.

-Filip

Re: Refactoring the validator scripts + adding maximum length constraints

Posted by Pablo Lalloni <pl...@afip.gov.ar>.
Great idea!

This could be really useful in our project.

Please send the patch so we can take a look at it.

El dom, 22-08-2004 a las 15:41, Filip S. Adamsen escribió:

> I have refactored a lot of the common JavaScript needed to use client side
> script validation into the Validator.js script.
>
> I've done this too eliminate a lot of repetition in the generated client
> side script. Validation-intensive pages could benefit from this. And since
> the more of the JavaScript is now in a cacheable file, the throughput of an
> application should improve.
>
> Is there a reason that this hasn't been done before? Otherwise, I'd submit a
> patch.
>
> On a side-note, I've added maximum length constraints (using the
> aforementioned enhancement) to all applicable validators. This solves bug
> #29438.
>
> -Filip

Pablo I. Lalloni <pl...@afip.gov.ar>
Teléfono +54 (11) 4347-3177
Proyecto Pampa
Dirección Informática Tributaria
AFIP

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On Aug 22, 2004, at 2:41 PM, Filip S. Adamsen wrote:
> I have refactored a lot of the common JavaScript needed to use client
> side
> script validation into the Validator.js script.
>
> I've done this too eliminate a lot of repetition in the generated
> client
> side script. Validation-intensive pages could benefit from this. And
> since
> the more of the JavaScript is now in a cacheable file, the throughput
> of an
> application should improve.
>
> Is there a reason that this hasn't been done before? Otherwise, I'd
> submit a
> patch.

I can't speak for everyone, but in my Tapestry projects we do not
generally use client-side validation.  It likely has not been much of
an 'itch' for anyone.

> On a side-note, I've added maximum length constraints (using the
> aforementioned enhancement) to all applicable validators. This solves
> bug
> #29438.

Excellent!

While I'm not currently using client-side validation, I think it is
great to have that option and have the JavaScript validators be as in
sync with the server-side capabilities as possible.

	Erik