Posted to dev@servicemix.apache.org by Gert Vanthienen <ge...@gmail.com> on 2011/12/20 16:51:45 UTC

Post-4.4.0 release plan

L.S.,

We have a few more hours to go in the Apache ServiceMix 4.4.0 release vote,
but unless something pops up last minute, we should have ourselves a brand
new ServiceMix release this evening, so it would be good to start thinking
about the next releases and make up a plan for those.

My proposal would be to schedule 2 upcoming release over the next few
months: ServiceMix 4.4.1 and ServiceMix 4.5.0.

For ServiceMix 4.4.1, I would like to create a features-4.4.x branch from
the current release tag that we can use to upgrade to new minor versions of
CXF, Camel, Karaf and ActiveMQ.  There already is a CXF 2.4.5 at the moment
and there will no doubt be a Camel 2.8.4 some time as well.  With all the
work we did to make our builds more self-contained, it should be possible
to upgrade to those new versions without having to recut all the other
projects.  If we encounter any packaging issue we can solve in the features
build, we can obviously fix those as well but I think we should try to
avoid creating branches for everything else (like nmr, components, ...) for
this release to keep the maintenance effort reasonable.  We should be able
to schedule the 4.4.1 (or any subsequent 4.4.x) release any time we see a
substantial new release from those dependencies.

In the trunks, I would propose to start working towards ServiceMix 4.5.0,
where the plan is to upgrade to the new minor version of our favorite
dependencies: CXF 2.5.x, Camel 2.9.x, ActiveMQ, 5.6.x, ...  In the
meanwhile, we can obviously also fix some of the outstanding issues that
were deferred over the last few weeks but I think we should focus on
getting this new release out within a few weeks of the availability of
those new CXF/Camel/ActiveMQ/... release.   A common question on the
mailing today is 'how can I upgrade ServiceMix to Camel version x or CXF
version y' and I think it would be very good if we can answer that question
with 'you'll get a new release with those version in a few weeks' ;)

Wdyt?

Gert Vanthienen
------------------------
FuseSource