Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Brice Lambi <br...@gmail.com> on 2006/06/05 17:00:59 UTC

AJAX API uses

Hello,
   I'm trying to figure out how I can use the AJAX API in Jetspeed 2 to meet
some needs I have.  I would like to have a portlet that will get some info
from a database about a user and based on that info decide which portlets
will be displayed to that user.  I realize that I can add and remove
portlets using the API, but that makes changes to the actual psml file
instead of just displaying the portlets.  I can remove the portlets before
the user logs out, but what if another user logs in before that?  Does this
mean that the new user will see the portlets that only the first user was
supposed to see?  Because of the requirements of the project, I cannot use
roles in jetspeed for layouts.  I need to get the role from my database and
based on that, display the appropriate portlets.  Does anyone have any
ideas?

Thanks,
Brice

Re: AJAX API uses

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
Brice Lambi wrote:
> Hello,
>   I'm trying to figure out how I can use the AJAX API in Jetspeed 2 to meet
> some needs I have.  I would like to have a portlet that will get some info
> from a database about a user and based on that info decide which portlets
> will be displayed to that user.  I realize that I can add and remove
> portlets using the API, but that makes changes to the actual psml file
> instead of just displaying the portlets.

The default Jetspeed pipeline decides which page, and in turn which
portlets are displayed on the page. The profiler valves decides which
page will be displayed. If you would like to keep your own database of
rules for deciding which portlets are displayed based on user
(dynamically), I would suggest that you look into overriding the
profiler valve, and creating a page object from your database rules.

--
David Sean Taylor
Bluesunrise Software