Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Vladimir Prus <gh...@cs.msu.su> on 2004/12/20 15:16:21 UTC

"No such representation" error

Hello,
all of sudden, I started getting the above error on one my repository.

I wonder:
1. What does it mean (the error is pretty obscure)
2. How could it happen
3. How do I recover

Details.
svn is "svn, version 1.0.9 (r11378)", Berkeley DB is 4.2.52, and repository
is local (no http/svnserver access at all).

I first noticed the problem when doing:

$svn -F ../svn-commit.tmp import .
file:///home/ghost/local/Repositories/svn_personal/papers/thesis
Adding         path_enumeration_op1.svg
Adding  (bin)  thethis.pdf
svn: No such representation '5j'

After that I've tried 'ls' on the repository, which failed with a similar
error.

I've looked at several previous backups, and all of the give error when
doing "svn ls". Backup of rev 21 works OK, backup of rev 23 does not work.
HEAD (rev 24) does not work. (Backup of rev 22 is missing). I don't think I
had any errors on previous commits.

I was using "cp -r" to make backup, but since this is local repository, it
should not matter.

Any ideas?

- Volodya

Re: "No such representation" error

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.
Vladimir Prus wrote:
> On Monday 20 December 2004 19:34, Max Bowsher wrote:
>> Vladimir Prus wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> all of sudden, I started getting the above error on one my repository.
>>>
>>> I wonder:
>>> 1. What does it mean (the error is pretty obscure)
>>
>> Repository corruption.
>
> Maybe, the error message could be more informative. I guess "svn recover"
> won't help, but the error might say this is "internal error" which should
> be
> reported on the mailing list.

Adding "Internal error" might be good, yes.

>>> 2. How could it happen
>>
>> We recently, with Sleepycat's help, located an obscure bug with
>> subversion's use of BDB. That might account for it.
>>
>>> 3. How do I recover
>>
>> Send me an URL to download a copy of the repository.
>
> Thanks, but I found on-disk copies of last two damaged revisions, so
> recovery
> is not important for me now. However, If sending a copy might help to
> discover the bug, just say a word.

Thanks, but we think we know what the problem is, and are working on how to
fix it.

Max.

Re: "No such representation" error

Posted by Vladimir Prus <gh...@cs.msu.su>.
On Monday 20 December 2004 19:34, Max Bowsher wrote:
> Vladimir Prus wrote:
> > Hello,
> > all of sudden, I started getting the above error on one my repository.
> >
> > I wonder:
> > 1. What does it mean (the error is pretty obscure)
>
> Repository corruption.

Maybe, the error message could be more informative. I guess "svn recover"
won't help, but the error might say this is "internal error" which should be
reported on the mailing list.

> > 2. How could it happen
>
> We recently, with Sleepycat's help, located an obscure bug with
> subversion's use of BDB. That might account for it.
>
> > 3. How do I recover
>
> Send me an URL to download a copy of the repository.

Thanks, but I found on-disk copies of last two damaged revisions, so recovery
is not important for me now. However, If sending a copy might help to
discover the bug, just say a word.

> > I was using "cp -r" to make backup, but since this is local repository,
> > it should not matter.
>
> Dangerous. You should still use "svnadmin hotcopy". Or take steps to ensure
> exclusive access the repository during the copy.

I've looked at my script and found that it already uses "hotcopy".

Thanks,

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.