Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Jean-Louis Monteiro <jl...@tomitribe.com> on 2023/01/06 12:03:43 UTC

Terminate Specs jars in Geronimo

Hi all,

Historically due to legal restrictions mainly, we created a bunch of spec
jars for all APIs from almost the beginning of Java EE.

Now that Jakarta is in Eclipse, I don't think there are restrictions to
prevent us from using theM.

I can think of a few exceptions

- activation and mail because API/IMPL are mixed
- same for Faces (we use spec and impl from MyFaces).

I know we have some minor add-ons like a service locator for OSGi. Do we
still need all of this?
Who is maintaining that and the features XML file when they exist?

From my window, except the few exceptions, we can terminate the spec jars
and only maintain what we have if needed but encourage Apache projects to
rely on Eclipse APIs instead.

What do you think?
Did I miss something?

--
Jean-Louis Monteiro
http://twitter.com/jlouismonteiro

Re: Terminate Specs jars in Geronimo

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
AFAIK it is mainly the provider loading which can load from OSGi registry

Romain Manni-Bucau

Posted by Jean-Louis MONTEIRO <je...@gmail.com>.

--
Jean-Louis

Re: Terminate Specs jars in Geronimo

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi,

It sounds good to me. We can "host" the OSGi part in Karaf if needed.

Regards
JB