Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by "Brandon L. Duncan" <br...@gmail.com> on 2011/01/14 16:20:47 UTC

Connecting BIRT to Derby using Network Driver causes shutdown

I know this is likely more of a question for the BIRT users, but I thought
I'd ask the Derby group to see if anyone has come across it before:

I am attempting to connect BIRT to our database running version 10.4.2.0 in
the network client mode using the org.apache.derby.jdbc.ClientDriver driver.
We have internal backend applications which are able to connect and query
without issue, as well as other third party software such as Squirrel SQL
and DB Visualizer.

However, when BIRT makes the connection successfully and retrieves data, it
appears to forcefully shutdown the running instance of the database and
start a new one, which causes serious disruption with the other applications
and is evident in Derby’s internal logging:

2011-01-13 19:28:15.704 GMT:

Shutting down instance a816c00e-012d-80d2-4703-000000cd19f8

2011-01-13 19:28:15.852 GMT Thread[DRDAConnThread_40,5,derby.daemons]
(DATABASE = ../../productiondb), (DRDAID = {14}), Database
'../../productiondb' shutdown.

Has anyone come across this? If so, how have you dealt with that either on
the database side or BIRT side?