Posted to xindice-dev@xml.apache.org by Kevin Ross <Ke...@iVerticalLeap.com> on 2002/10/15 17:48:44 UTC

UI for xindice management

What is everyone using as a UI for the CVS version( other than command
line )?  The attrezzo plugin seems to be stale at this point.  No real
development activity going on (except downloads), and it doesn't work on
anything past 1.0.

What would everyone think about a major refactoring of the former
attrezzo code and repackaging as something like
org.apache.xindice.tools....?  Would there be any licensing issues?  I
think this would be incredibly helpful as a start to gain more users, as
well as it will be easier to keep up to date.

-Kevin

RE: UI for xindice management

Posted by Matt Liotta <ml...@r337.com>.
Until those fixes are released as part of a stable build people will
continue to evaluate Xindice based on the current 1.0 release.

Matt Liotta
President & CEO
Montara Software, Inc.
http://www.montarasoftware.com/
888-408-0900 x901

Posted by Gary Hallmark <Ga...@oracle.com>.
Given that serious problems have been fixed, corba has been tossed,
embedding has been added, error reporting enhanced, dozens of useful emails
amongst the community posted weekly, and new commiters have filled the void
left by Tom and Kimbro having to lessen their participation, all within the
past 6 months, I would not call Xindice stale.  Keep up the good work!

(my opinion, not necessarily my employer's, blah blah blah)

At 10:43 AM 10/16/02 -0400, you wrote:
> > I stated it was an assumption, not a fact. As an opinion, it needs
> > no foundation, except as a reaction to your message. You could have
> > said Xindice was "stable" rather than "stale." Stale implies something
> > is wrong, like stale bread. I don't find Xindice currently stale, but
> > stable, at least for my needs, which are a functional native XML db.
> >
>I would further disagree with the term stable. We have been running
>Xindice 1.0 in production for some time now and it has serious issues.
>We are seeing both memory and file leaks. I believe both of which have
>been addressed in the CVS version, but we haven't been able to integrate
>those into our code base.
>
>-Matt

Cheers, Gary

RE: UI for xindice management

Posted by Matt Liotta <ml...@r337.com>.

Posted by Murray Altheim <m....@open.ac.uk>.
Matt Liotta wrote:

>>Coming from the CEO of a software company I assume you must have
>>something to gain from criticizing Xindice. If you think it's
>>going too slow, commit some resources. Being a businessman in
>>control of a budget, you're in a better position than most of us
>>to do something positive rather than negative.
>>
> Your statement is unfounded. Making a statement about Xindice whether
> you interpret it to be positive or negative doesn't reflect on whether I
> have anything to gain from Xindice itself.

I stated it was an assumption, not a fact. As an opinion, it needs
no foundation, except as a reaction to your message. You could have
said Xindice was "stable" rather than "stale." Stale implies something
is wrong, like stale bread. I don't find Xindice currently stale, but
stable, at least for my needs, which are a functional native XML db.

> My company is currently developing a product based on Xindice and when
> we have useful functionality to contribute to the project we will, so I
> have a lot to gain from the success of Xindice. With that being said, I
> stand behind my earlier statement that Xindice is stale at the moment. I
> don't feel the statement is negative; just realistic.

As I said, you're in as good a position as anyone to commit
valuable resources to move Xindice away from being "stale", which
was the purpose of my message. To reiterate, I would certainly
encourage you to do so as you deem appropriate to your business.
Tom and Kimbro have asked for help on a number of occasions, and
not all of us are in a position to provide a lot of time (eg., I'm
example in the middle of a Ph.D., despite this I hope to commit
the XNode API when I find the time and figure out the CVS hoops to
jump through -- the code's stable (hint)).

Murray

Murray Altheim                  <http://kmi.open.ac.uk/people/murray/>
Knowledge Media Institute
The Open University, Milton Keynes, Bucks, MK7 6AA, UK

            If you're the first person in a new territory,
            you're likely to get shot at.
                                                     -- ma

RE: UI for xindice management

Posted by Matt Liotta <ml...@r337.com>.

Posted by Murray Altheim <m....@open.ac.uk>.
Matt Liotta wrote:

> Xindice in general seems to be stale at this point.
>
> Matt Liotta
> President & CEO
> Montara Software, Inc.
> http://www.montarasoftware.com/

> 888-408-0900 x901

 > Kevin Ross wrote:
 > > What is everyone using as a UI for the CVS version( other than command
 > > line )?  The attrezzo plugin seems to be stale at this point.  No real
 > > development activity going on (except downloads), and it doesn't work on
 > > anything past 1.0.

Coming from the CEO of a software company I assume you must have
something to gain from criticizing Xindice. If you think it's
going too slow, commit some resources. Being a businessman in
control of a budget, you're in a better position than most of us
to do something positive rather than negative.

As for UIs, there's something called "Indri" that's part of the
Java Web Services Developer Pack, a UI front end to Xindice using
the XNode API. While still at Sun, I developed this tool as a
management tool/demo, and it's still available. It has an XPath
query ability, though admittedly the project is a functional demo,
not a full-blown management tool.

I'll eventually be publishing Ceryle, a Ph.D. project that also
uses the XNode API for access to Xindice content. It uses a
TouchGraph-based visual ontology to organize node content.

Tom Bradford has some interesting stuff either already available
or soon to be.

Posted by Matt Liotta <ml...@r337.com>.