Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Catherine Pinatiello <ca...@injuryfree.com> on 2003/07/23 00:35:25 UTC

[users@httpd] SSLengine Error on Apachectl restart

Hi -

When trying to restart apache (without first stopping it) with apachectl
  I get this error:

Syntax error on line 662 of /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf:
Invalid command 'SSLEngine', perhaps mis-spelled or defined by a module
not included in the server configuration

I have done some research on this issue and double checked my mod_ssl,
openssl installation and made sure that the LoadModule statement was
correct in httpd.conf. Everything is as it should be.

As a matter of fact, despite this error, apache starts and stops just
fine without using apachectl, and my SSL certificates come through
properly when using https. So the server acts just like it should,
except that I cannot start, or restart it using the apachectl script.

Any idea why apachectl would be causing this error?

Thanks.

Re: [users@httpd] Mod_ssl expert needed

Posted by Steve Lane <sl...@moyergroup.com>.
On 8/11/03 10:12 PM, "Aaron Morris" <aa...@mindspring.com> wrote:

> Are you using self-signed certificates?

The initial failure wasn't with a SSC. I started using one to try to ferret
out the problem. The SSC failed in IE, until I figured out how to encode a
CA in DER format and download it in the browser. After I did that, the SSC
worked fine.

I think at this point my problem is mostly solved. Rolling back to slightly
older OpenSSl and mod_ssl *seems* to have been the fix.

-- sgl

Steve Lane

Vice President
The Moyer Group
14 North Peoria St Suite 2H
Chicago, IL 60607

Voice: (312) 433-2421       Email: slane@moyergroup.com
Fax:   (312) 850-3930       Web:   http://www.moyergroup.com

Re: [users@httpd] Mod_ssl expert needed

Posted by Aaron Morris <aa...@mindspring.com>.

Aaron W Morris <aa...@mindspring.com> (decep)

Re: [users@httpd] Mod_ssl expert needed

Posted by Steve Lane <sl...@moyergroup.com>.
On 8/10/03 1:40 AM, "Arthur Chan" <ac...@saysit.com.hk> wrote:

> no need - I know the pain!
> for Mac-kers, check out
> www.mail-archive.com/modssl-users@modssl.org/msg16108.html
> also, remember to do this :
> (httpd.conf)
> SetEnvIf User-Agent ".*MSIE.*"\
>  nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown \
>  downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0
> Hope that helps and cheer up ;-)

Thanks! I put together a page on this that pulls together a lot of different
angles on the problem. It's not pretty, but can be found at

http://www.moyergroup.com/ie5bug/ie5SSLbug.html

As far as I can tell, recent Apache has all the necessary config elements to
work around these bugs. So I think my issue, which I tentatively believe is
fixed, must have been somewhere else.

Posted by Arthur Chan <ac...@saysit.com.hk>.
no need - I know the pain!
for Mac-kers, check out