Posted to dev@calcite.apache.org by Kevin Risden <kr...@apache.org> on 2019/03/14 17:08:20 UTC

[VOTE] Release apache-calcite-1.19.0 (release candidate 0)

Hi all,

I have created a build for Apache Calcite 1.19.0, release candidate 0.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this release.
You can read the release notes here:
https://github.com/apache/calcite/blob/branch-1.19/site/_docs/history.md

The commit to be voted upon:
https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=calcite.git;a=commit;h=a08c36fb0284ad121040c336e7d75001019f3495

Its hash is a08c36fb0284ad121040c336e7d75001019f3495.

The artifacts to be voted on are located here:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/calcite/apache-calcite-1.19.0-rc0/

The hashes of the artifacts are as follows:
src.tar.gz.sha256
a04bfb1bac830e57475dffdbf5f0c3a797c358460d240f6203c929bac61b47ae

A staged Maven repository is available for review at:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecalcite-1053/

https://people.apache.org/keys/committer/krisden.asc

Please vote on releasing this package as Apache Calcite 1.19.0.

The vote is open for the next 72 hours and passes if a majority of
at least three +1 PMC votes are cast.

[ ] +1 Release this package as Apache Calcite 1.19.0
[ ]  0 I don't feel strongly about it, but I'm okay with the release

Here is my vote:
+1 (binding)

Kevin Risden

Re: [VOTE] Release apache-calcite-1.19.0 (release candidate 0)

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@gmail.com>.
If I was release manager for 1.18, it’s possible that I used ‘mvn’ rather than ‘./mvnw’. I don’t recall. If so, my bad, I should have updated the release instructions.

Julian

Posted by Kevin Risden <kr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kevin Risden <kr...@apache.org>.
I am canceling the vote due to
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-2925

Thanks to all who voted. I should have a new RC out shortly.

Kevin Risden

Posted by Kevin Risden <kr...@apache.org>.

[CANCEL][VOTE] Release apache-calcite-1.19.0 (release candidate 0)

Posted by Kevin Risden <kr...@apache.org>.
RC 0 was cancelled due to CALCITE-2925

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.
Kevin,

Posted by Kevin Risden <kr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrei Sereda <an...@sereda.cc>.
Hello,

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.
First of all Vladimir, please cut out the sarcasm. It's not constructive.

We can't claim that some of the files in our release are not Calcite
sources. There is no other definition of "Calcite source code" than
what we include in a release. So, everything in that tar file is by
definition "Calcite source code".

There are some kinds of files, such as .jpeg, which do not exist in
any form other than binary. One creates them by editing them directly.
Since we have created them, and they are available nowhere else, they
belong in the source release.

There is a case to be made that we should omit files like EMPS.csv.gz.
If you think it's important, go ahead and make that case.

Code is different. The textual source is editable, but the object
files (in this case the .class files in the .jar) are not. The open
source definition makes a big deal about distributing source code,
because it is not practical to improve on someone's work if your only
means to change it is to edit their object files.

Apache release policy bans object files because they are difficult to
audit (for mischief such as IP infringement or malware). It's not
really possible to vote on a release that contains object files.

Lastly, this .jar file is non-essential. The release builds just fine
without it.

Julian

Posted by Julian Feinauer <j....@pragmaticminds.de>.
Hi Vladimir,

without beeing a super expert I guess the term "binary" in this context refers to a compiled package.
The Release Policy [1] states that for a (compiled) artifact the source code has to be released alongside.

So the images are basically the source for the homepage or documentation and the csv.gz files are necessary for testing (and thus building) the project.
The Maven Wrapper on the other hand is pre-compiled software but its source is not published with the release (as it has nothing to do with the software).

If I understand the policy correctly it would be okay to include the calcite jars in the release (as we do via maven central).
So I guess the term "binary" is a bit misleading.

Julian

[1] https://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy.html#compiled-packages

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.

Posted by Vladimir Sitnikov <si...@gmail.com>.