Posted to phoenix-dev@avalon.apache.org by Richard van der Laan <ri...@yahoo.com> on 2002/09/20 13:42:36 UTC

Is inter SAR communication yet possible?

Hello there,

While reading through the mail archives I found some
matches on this topic, but it still isn't clear to me
if the current version of Phoenix is supporting this
feature. If it isn't (yet) available, will it be
included future versions?

By inter SAR communication I mean that SARs will have
the ability to depend on components published by other
deployed SARs and then are able to lookup and access
these components. This similar to blocks in one SAR.
Component lookup will create the need for some sort of
naming service, this using some sort of JNDI or a
special componentmanager implementation. Use of
dynamic proxies and customizable interceptors at this
level will also be great.

Regards,

Richard van der Laan / Luminis, The Netherlands

Re: Is inter SAR communication yet possible?

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 2002-09-20 at 13:42, Richard van der Laan wrote:
> Hello there,

Hi Richard!

> While reading through the mail archives I found some
> matches on this topic, but it still isn't clear to me
> if the current version of Phoenix is supporting this
> feature.

It doesn't.

> If it isn't (yet) available, will it be
> included future versions?

Depends on what you mean...and if someone has a need for it/feels like
doing it.

> By inter SAR communication I mean that SARs will have
> the ability to depend on components published by other
> deployed SARs and then are able to lookup and access
> these components. This similar to blocks in one SAR.
> Component lookup will create the need for some sort of
> naming service, this using some sort of JNDI or a
> special componentmanager implementation.

As I remember the discussions, we have sort-of agreed that if you need a
JNDI functionality, you should resort to JNDI instead of use a
brew-your-own CM-based version.

Also, the entire idea of SARs is that they are isolated from each other
at the avalon lifecycle/phoenix level (refer to the Isolate JSR for jdk
1.5).

That said, you could either have your components publish themselves
(which I see as Subversion of Control), create a child container
(perhaps based around one of the other containers like fortress or
merlin) that handles the publishing, or write a custom phoenix Kernel
(or possibly a custom Manager) to do it.

I'm not aware of open source avalon containers or phoenix
extensions/customisations that do this.

Note there are other ideas wrt inter-application communication that do
not use a centralized directory mechanism. You might want to look at
http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/excalibur/altrmi/.

> Use of
> dynamic proxies and customizable interceptors at this
> level will also be great.

While it could be cool, there's quite a few ways to do this in a way
leading to very bad design (which is probably the main reason why it
doesn't work that way atm in phoenix). Some phoenix developers are
looking into using interceptor-like architecture....I suspect it'll take
quite a while for that to fall into place though...

regards,

Leo Simons (ook Nederlander)