Posted to users@maven.apache.org by An...@sungard.com on 2015/05/14 10:23:52 UTC

Problems building maven from source from behind a firewall: Unable to initialize POM dependencies.xml

Hello everyone,

I am trying to build maven from source in a corporate environment behind a firewall. It fails to download a pom, eventually timing out. I read of others with the same problem and the "solutions" posted always involve configuring an http proxy. Different solutions have different ways of specifying the proxy settings. There is the environment variable http_proxy, there's the maven settings.xml in $HOME/.m2, and even the ANT_OPTS variable. I have tried them all but to no avail.

The pom it's trying to get is http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/maven/maven-parent/23/maven-parent-23.pom. I can retrieve this file using wget (with http_proxy set) but somehow the maven retrieve fails. I hope someone can help me.

Also, given that I am trying to build a source distribution, why it is going off to remote repos to fetch various files? Shouldn't they come with the source distro anyway?

Regards,

Andrew M.

Re: Problems building maven from source from behind a firewall: Unable to initialize POM dependencies.xml

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
On Thursday, May 14, 2015, Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi Andrew,
>

> On 5/14/15 10:44 AM, Andrew.Marlow@sungard.com wrote:
>
>> It should, in principle, be possible to build maven from the source.
>>

> That was not the point.. It is possible to build Maven from source using
> Ant but why would you like to do so? What's the intention?

More like it is possible to bootstrap maven with ant. You can build just
enough maven to let maven take over and build itself.

Longer term there is very little reason to maintain the ant bootstrap and
we may switch to building maven with an older release of maven

> Kind regards
> Karl Heinz Marbaise

Sent from my phone

Re: Problems building maven from source from behind a firewall: Unable to initialize POM dependencies.xml

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi Andrew,

On 5/14/15 10:44 AM, Andrew.Marlow@sungard.com wrote:
> It should, in principle, be possible to build maven from the source.

That was not the point.. It is possible to build Maven from source using
Ant but why would you like to do so? What's the intention?

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise

Posted by An...@sungard.com.
It should, in principle, be possible to build maven from the source.

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi Andrew,

why are you building Maven from source and not downloading from
http://maven.apache.org/download.html the distribution...(-bin.tar.gz
unix -bin.zip for windows).

A proxy in maven (settings.xml) is something different than using
http_proxy see https://maven.apache.org/settings.html

Best is to setup a Nexus repository manager inside the corporate
environment and let handle Nexus the proxy / access to internet things...

http://books.sonatype.com/nexus-book/reference/config-maven.html

On 5/14/15 10:23 AM, Andrew.Marlow@sungard.com wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I am trying to build maven from source in a corporate environment behind a firewall.

To be behind a firewall / proxy is a usual corporate setup....nothing
unsual...

 > It fails to download a pom, eventually timing out.

You should the reason in the logging output if you trying to run on
console...

 >  I read of others with the same problem and the "solutions"
 > posted always
 >  involve configuring an http proxy.
 > Different solutions have different ways of
 > specifying the proxy settings.

There is the environment variable http_proxy, there's the maven
settings.xml in $HOME/.m2,

The settings.xml file is the correct location....

 > and even the ANT_OPTS variable.

Why ANT_OPTS ? This is not related to Maven...you should try MAVEN_OPTS
instead...if you really need..if you use settings.xml you don't need to...

 >  I have tried them all but to no avail.
> > The pom it's trying to get is http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/maven/maven-parent/23/maven-parent-23.pom.
 >  I can retrieve this file using wget (with http_proxy set)
 > but somehow the maven retrieve fails. I hope someone can help me.

Settings up things in settings.xml like here:

https://maven.apache.org/settings.html#Proxies

> Also, given that I am trying to build a source distribution,
 > why it is going off to remote repos to fetch various files?

To build things in Maven plugins are needed which need dependencies of
their own...plus the dependencies of the code...so downloading of the
pom is to analyze the transitive dependencies...

 >  Shouldn't they come with the source distro anyway?
If you really like to build from source you should use ANT which also
tries to download some files (I can't remember which, don't that ages
before...).

The binary distro contains only Maven itself no plugins etc...which will
be downloaded automatically if you have a proxy/mirror settings.xml
correctly or better using a repository manager...

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise