Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Steve Bergman <sb...@gmail.com> on 2014/06/30 20:58:16 UTC

pyzor: check failed: internal error, python traceback seen in response

Hi,

I'm getting:

"pyzor: check failed: internal error, python traceback seen in response"

on many Spamassassin generated calls to pyzor. In the case of good
emails, at least, the senders report getting a bounce, but the emails
make it through to the recipient. Despite adding '-d' to the pyzor
options, I haven't been able to actually look at a traceback. Could
anyone direct me to how to find an actual traceback?

On a related note, we have postfix aliases. Should I be explicitly
giving a --homedir for pyzor? I'm not sure what that "servers" file is
about. Setting a --homedir doesn't seem to fix the problem.

I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 on the server, with the Ubuntu provided packages.

spamassassin 3.3.1-1

pyzor 1:0.5.0-0ubuntu2

Thank you for any enlightenment on this.

Steve Bergman

Re: pyzor: check failed: internal error, python traceback seen in response

Posted by Steve Bergman <sb...@gmail.com>.
Hmmm...

My original question was "where's the traceback". Not whether this or
that project chooses to abandon its stable releases. Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
Server is supported until May 2015. And similar time-frame releases of
SA and Pyzor are supported until 2020 in RHEL/Scientific Linux/Centos.

I'm sure that bugs have been fixed, and new ones introduced, in later
versions of both packages.

All I really want is to find some diagnostic output. When I run Pyzor
from the command line on the same emails it returns without an error.

-Steve Bergman

Re: pyzor: check failed: internal error (strace to the rescue)

Posted by Steve Bergman <sb...@gmail.com>.
OK. So I replaced pyzor with a dash script to run it under strace and
log the output to to a file. What it was complaining about was (drum
roll, please) the permissions on /home/pyzor/servers. Which is odd,
because I'm pretty sure I set that file to be world readable and world
writable for testing purposes. But when I checked again it was owned by
root with 600 permissions.

If we assume that I had a temporary brain aneurysm or mini-stroke or
something when I thought I was doing that, it explains both why it
wasn't working then, and why it wasn't working with aliases earlier,
since aliases don't have home directories to even have servers files
with permissions on them.

Or perhaps I didn't have a brain stroke, and those permissions changed.
I'll be monitoring that. But at least I'm past the "it doesn't work and
I have no idea why" stage. And that's very nice, indeed.

Posted by Axb <ax...@gmail.com>.
On 07/01/2014 02:57 PM, Steve Bergman wrote:
> On 06/30/2014 02:15 PM, Axb wrote:
>> As you don't mention what gue you use with SA it's hard to guess where
>> your Pyzor config files should be.
>
> I guess I'm not quite sure what gue I am using with SA. Where would I
> find that?

phatfingers meant "glue" - how do you interface spamassassin with your
MTA/MUA

amavisd, procmail, some milter, etc..
running under what user.... etc

Re: pyzor: check failed: internal error, python traceback seen in response

Posted by Steve Bergman <sb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Steve Bergman <sb...@gmail.com>.
>>> pyzor 1:0.5.0-0ubuntu2
>
>> ancient, buggy, EOL  version

Interestingly, pyzor 0.7.0 (the latest stable version) gives the same
error. And SA is not preserving the diagnostic output from it for the
admin to view, even with debuging turned on in both packages. Looks like
the bugs are in Spamassassin. I guess I'm not sure why such buggy
software would ever have been released as gold in the first place.

-Steve

Re: pyzor: check failed: internal error, python traceback seen in response

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.

On 30.06.14 21:15, Axb wrote:
>time to update...

>>pyzor 1:0.5.0-0ubuntu2

>ancient, buggy, EOL  version

for both issues, you should ask help on ubuntu. I have no idea whether 10.04
is supported still (is that LTS version?) but ubuntu should take care about
such issues if it's supported (well, that's what "support" means)
REALITY.SYS corrupted. Press any key to reboot Universe.

Re: pyzor: check failed: internal error, python traceback seen in response

Posted by Axb <ax...@gmail.com>.
On 06/30/2014 08:58 PM, Steve Bergman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm getting:
>
> "pyzor: check failed: internal error, python traceback seen in response"
>
> on many Spamassassin generated calls to pyzor. In the case of good
> emails, at least, the senders report getting a bounce, but the emails
> make it through to the recipient. Despite adding '-d' to the pyzor
> options, I haven't been able to actually look at a traceback. Could
> anyone direct me to how to find an actual traceback?
>
> On a related note, we have postfix aliases. Should I be explicitly
> giving a --homedir for pyzor? I'm not sure what that "servers" file is
> about. Setting a --homedir doesn't seem to fix the problem.
>
> I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 on the server, with the Ubuntu provided packages.
>

> spamassassin 3.3.1-1

time to update...

> pyzor 1:0.5.0-0ubuntu2

ancient, buggy, EOL  version

All the docs on:
http://www.pyzor.org/en/latest/

There's been lots of small bugs fixes & imprevement lately.