Posted to log4net-dev@logging.apache.org by Nicko Cadell <ni...@neoworks.com> on 2004/02/15 21:16:40 UTC

RE: Apache account request

Gert,

> ok, working now. I had forgotten to rename my public key file
> to authorized_keys :(

great.

> Are you also planning on renaming the root namespace to
> Log4Net (I saw that you fixed a lot of other naming "issues"
> reported by FxCop) ?

I have gone through all the FxCop issues and fixed all the ones I thought
could be done without too much user impact.

The changes that I have made should not impact most users. If they are using
the DOMConfigurator (now replaced by the XmlConfigurator) it does a case
insensitive type lookup, therefore changes to the case of the type names of
appenders, layouts etc... should not have too big an impact. If users are
programmatically configuring log4net then they will have breaking changes.

I have not fixed the log4net namespace or the NDC and MDC classes. Because
this would be a breaking change for all user code.

We could fix the namespace and keep some compatibility by keeping the
LogManager, ILog, NDC, and MDC classes available in both "log4net" and
"Log4Net". But we can't be Common Language Specification compliant if we
have type that differ only by case.  (Well it might be possible to work
around that by marking some of the types as non-compliant).

If we are to make such a breaking change then we should make it sooner
rather than later, obviously the longer we leave it the more users it will
effect when/if we make the change.