Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com> on 2011/08/01 09:43:37 UTC

Re: gzip compression (was: Re: Logging Subversion client HTTP requests)

On Aug 1, 2011, at 02:16, Manuel Lemos wrote:

> Anyway, another odd thing is that the client always sends a request header saying it can handle HTTP compression but SubVersion servers seem to never compress responses.
>
> Given than a typical gzip encoding can compress text data about 5 times, it seemed to me there is a great opportunity to make SubVersion HTTP server accesses much faster, but that opportunity is not being addressed because SubVersion HTTP servers do not compress responses. Again I maybe missing something here.

I believe that's something you can set up in your httpd.conf if desired. It's a feature of Apache and not specific to (nor configurable from) Subversion.

Re: gzip compression

Posted by Manuel Lemos <ml...@acm.org>.
Hello,

on 08/01/2011 04:43 AM Ryan Schmidt said the following:
 >> Anyway, another odd thing is that the client always sends a request
 >> header saying it can handle HTTP compression but SubVersion servers
 >> seem to never compress responses.
 >>
 >> Given than a typical gzip encoding can compress text data about 5
 >> times, it seemed to me there is a great opportunity to make
 >> SubVersion HTTP server accesses much faster, but that opportunity
 >> is not being addressed because SubVersion HTTP servers do not
 >> compress responses. Again I maybe missing something here.
 >
 > I believe that's something you can set up in your httpd.conf if

Right, but AFAIK I have not seen any SubVersion repository that has
enabled the gzip compression, not even Google Code, despite these days
Google is all obcessed with performance.

 > desired. It's a feature of Apache and not specific to (nor
 > configurable from) Subversion.

Right but this is just an opportunity for SubVersion core developers to
think about adding gzip/deflate compression built-in mod_dav_svn,
because if they do not do it, no SubVersion repository is doing it and
SubVersion servers could be much faster then they are today but they aren't.

I am not sure what is the way to submit improvement suggestions, but if
any SubVersion core developer is reading this, please consider adding
gzip/deflate compression built-in mod_dav_svn.

Manuel Lemos

JS Classes - Free ready to use OOP components written in JavaScript
http://www.jsclasses.org/