Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com> on 2001/05/08 19:52:08 UTC

Turbine and Torque (was: Re: Town replacement)

Peers are *the* right solution. I'm biased of course.

Torque itself is abstracted from Turbine. Torque is the tool that you use to
build the generated .sql and the .java files from a .xml file input. This is
what builds the OR mapping.

Those files do indeed depend on *parts* of Turbine (not all of it). So, it
comes down to a packaging question. At this point, we (the Turbine project)
have given up the idea of trying to package the connection pool and the Peer
related base classes separate simply because including a single
"turbine.jar" (and JDBC / Village) in your classpath isn't that big of a
deal.

Runtime configuration is easy. It is done through the
TurbineResources.properties file and external usage is configured using the
TurbineConfig.java object (see the javadoc for details). It is really easy.

Turbine now has a deprecation policy. This is something that I'm going to be
very religious about following (simply because I wrote it and because I'm a
Sam believer).
<http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/deprecation.html>

The Peer stuff is being used quite a bit now by a lot of people. I'm using
it in my Scarab project and CollabNet uses it as the basis for DB stuff in
their core product and there are several other companies using it as well.
The number of questions on the Turbine-user/dev list regarding Peers has
gone up quite a bit (meaning more people are using it).

Performance is of course not as good as straight JDBC, but that is the
tradeoff. Easily maintainable code or not. So far, we have not been able to
directly point to Peers as being a bottleneck though (in other words, there
is other stuff in most systems that is much slower).

Documentation for Peers/Torque is on the Turbine website and in the javadocs
for the classes. It isn't perfect, but we now have a "Turbine Documentation
Team" which is working on improving things. The stuff that is up there is
definitely enough to get started.

Turbine will be released at JavaOne as version 2.1. We have already branched
the CVS tree to work towards a 2.1 stable while the MAIN has continued
development.

I guess the summary is that it is a fully supported product within Turbine
that does the job very well and there is a lot of people using it.

You make the decision. 

-jon

your pain to new levels. --Anonymous