Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Smejkal Petr <Sm...@tesco-europe.com> on 2002/10/31 17:18:45 UTC

ORACLE_HOME environment variable not set!

I installed a new intranet server a few days ago. My development server is on Windows2000 (notebook) and production is Linux (server). Everything works fine on my notebook but I have problems on my server.
Sometimes there is an message "ORACLE_HOME environment variable not set!" in my error log on server. Only this message! There is nothing about time and origin of that message! And I don't have any problems with the database - all pages are generated properly.
Sometimes the browser doesn't get a response (IE is waiting for response endlessly and there's no log entry in the server log) but it's enough to reload the page or click again.

I don't have any idea where the error message comes from. Do you know how to fix it?

What's the best place to define environment variables for httpd process? I've tried to define it in "startup.pl" which is the startup script defined in httpd.conf. I've tried to defined the variables in apachectl (and export them of course) which is used to start the server but without success. Well, the variables were used (I'm able to connect to the database) but the strange error message is still appearing.

-- Petr Smejkal

Re: ORACLE_HOME environment variable not set!

Posted by Gabriel C Millerd <gm...@qualhost.com>.
On 31-Oct-02, Smejkal Petr wrote:

> I don't have any idea where the error message comes from. Do you know how to fix it?

    if you $ENV{ORACLE_HOME}='/your/path/here'; in startup.pl everything will
be ok. there doesnt seem to be any problem resulting from the error. i put up
with it for a year or so in my error.logs.
    if you set it in your /etc/init.d/apache it seems to do the same thing
until apachectl reload during log maintence. i believe.

--
Gabriel C. Millerd |
     Script Monkey |        What soon grows old? Gratitude. --Aristotle

Re: ORACLE_HOME environment variable not set!

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.
On Thu, 31 Oct 2002, Smejkal Petr wrote:

> I installed a new intranet server a few days ago. My
> development server is on Windows2000 (notebook) and production
> is Linux (server). Everything works fine on my notebook but I
> have problems on my server.  Sometimes there is an message
> "ORACLE_HOME environment variable not set!" in my error log on
> server. Only this message! There is nothing about time and
> origin of that message! And I don't have any problems with the
> database - all pages are generated properly.  Sometimes the
> browser doesn't get a response (IE is waiting for response
> endlessly and there's no log entry in the server log) but it's
> enough to reload the page or click again.

Are you sure there's not a correlation between the occurrence of
these hanging responses and the error messages about ORACLE_HOME
not being set? There may be some buffering going on by which the
message may not get printed at the time the error occurs - if you
can, maybe try shutting down the server as soon as the hanging
occurs, which should cause any messages in the buffer to get
printed to the error log immediately.

Are you using Apache::DBI?

> I don't have any idea where the error message comes from. Do
> you know how to fix it?

In your script or handler that accesses the database, maybe try
printing to the error log the value of $ENV{ORACLE_HOME}; you
might then see when or what type of request results in a null
value.

> What's the best place to define environment variables for httpd
> process? I've tried to define it in "startup.pl" which is the
> startup script defined in httpd.conf. I've tried to defined the
> variables in apachectl (and export them of course) which is
> used to start the server but without success. Well, the
> variables were used (I'm able to connect to the database) but
> the strange error message is still appearing.

Are you using Apache's SetEnv or PassEnv directives? These are
useful for the content generation phase and after - if you need
these environment variables before this phase, try the mod_perl
PerlSetEnv or PerlPassEnv directives.

--
best regards,
randy kobes