Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Manuel Saint-Victor <di...@gmail.com> on 2006/04/18 16:34:16 UTC

How to get my code out of svn to create a new repository

I would like to take some code that I have under current version control
that has been corrupted- cleanup is not working either- and export just the
code so that I can create a new repository.

What's the best way to go about doing that?

Re: How to get my code out of svn to create a new repository

Posted by Roel Harbers <ro...@roelharbers.com>.
Manuel Saint-Victor wrote:
> I would like to take some code that I have under current version control
> that has been corrupted- cleanup is not working either- and export just
> the code so that I can create a new repository.
>
> What's the best way to go about doing that?

Could you provide more information? Is the repository corrupted, or a
working copy? What error messages do you get when you do what? Do you
have backups?

If the working copy is corrupt, you can just use "svn co" to check out a
new working copy (and maybe manually copy any modified files in your old
working copy if you need to), and there's no need to create a new
repository.

If the repository is corrupt, your best bet would be to use the backup.

If you don't have that (shame on you :P ), you might try doing a
checkout of an older revision, not HEAD. (using "svn co -r 123", where
123 is the last revision where things still worked)

If that fails too, you could try svnadmin dump to see at what revision
things break down.

If that is too many revisions ago, and your working copy *does* contain
the source code you want, your best bet is to copy the entire working
copy (filesystem copy, *NOT* svn cp), delete all .svn directories from
the copy, and import the result into a new repository.

Hope that helps,

Roel Harbers