Posted to dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Greg Klebus <gr...@klebus.com> on 2008/04/21 00:22:12 UTC

Content explorer (Re: Jackrabbit 1.5 release plan)

Hi

First of all, kudos to Jukka for the great work on Jackrabbit release
management!

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 4:29 PM, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  The Q2 schedule for 1.5 basically means that we should have the major
>  new features (runnable jar deployment, content explorer) in trunk
>  latest in May. That's a fairly tight schedule, but I'm confident that
>  we can make it since the required work is mostly about integrating
>  existing code and solutions.

I wanted to refer to a specific feature planned for Jackrabbit 1.5 -
the Content Explorer (see also [1]). As Product Manager responsible
for JCR Products at Day, I have a pleasure to give you heads-up on an
important development in this area.

We at Day decided to donate the CRX Content Explorer, part of our
Content Repository Extreme product, to the community / Jackrabbit. For
those, who'd like to have a look at the current CRX content explorer,
please see the live CRX demo [2] and click on 'Content Explorer' link
to play with it.

There are other open-source JCR browsers available, but I reckon CRX
explorer supports all major JCR features today, has been extensively
tested and is stable enough for widespread adoption. It is also a
small enough web application to fit nicely into the self-contained
'JCR product package' Jukka has planned (another great idea for
product adoption IMO).

Given the challenging 1.5 timelines, I'd recommend going with whatever
we have in place right now (adapting the L&F to fit Jackrabbit's), and
enhancing it in the next releases (rewriting in Sling would be one of
the ideas).

We're going to do the necessary 'cleaning-up for open source' and
adopting the features to be JCR-only here at Day before submitting a
patch to be included in Jackrabbit.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCR-1455: Content browser/editor
[2] http://jcr.day.com/

Cheers
Greg

PS. I believe that by supporting Jacrkabbit in the area of ease of use
we will only benefit from the greater adoption of Jackrabbit and JCR
by community/developers, and will still have enough value on the
commercial / feature side to attract enterprise customers to our
commercial offering.

PS1. Disclaimer. While I have an OK to make that information public on
the list, everything else is my personal opinion. Please request a
written note from Day if you need an official statement :)

--
-- Greg Klebus | http://day.com | http://dev.day.com
-- Best open-source JCR repository: http://jacrkabbit.apache.org

Re: Content explorer (Re: Jackrabbit 1.5 release plan)

Posted by Tobias Bocanegra <to...@day.com>.
On 4/22/08, Greg Klebus <gr...@klebus.com> wrote:
> Hi
>

>  On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 9:11 AM, Angela Schreiber <an...@day.com> wrote:
>  > Jukka Zitting wrote:
>  > > On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 2:23 PM, Paco Avila <pa...@git.es> wrote:
>  > >
>  > > >  I've been testing "CRX Content Explorer" and looks great :) But now I
>  > > >  have a question because I've seen the Access-Control Editor : how do
>  > you
>  > > >  implement the ACL? There is no default ACL managemente in Jackrabbit.
>  > > >
>  > >
>  > > I guess we'd disable the ACL editor in Jackrabbit 1.5, and bring it
>  > > back in Jackrabbit 2.0 when Angela's work for JSR 283 access control
>  > > is finished.
>

> Disabling the CRX ACL editor is surely one of the tasks we need to do
>  before donating.
>
>  And at the same time we might also try to create a prototype UI for
>  current work-in-progress ACLs already in Jackrabbit 1.5? This of
>  course is subject to further work to make it compatible with final
>  specification.
>

>  >  it's already committed to jackrabbit trunk. i just didn't
>  >  change the default configuration yet to the in-spe default
>  >  implementation, since there are still known issues and
>  >  since i didn't take a closer look a performance optimization
>  >  yet.
>  >
>  >  basically the overall structure is there.
>

> I chatted with Angela this morning and having a UI for the ACLs would
>  help test the stuff - her personally, and also would also make more
>  people verify it (it's easier to even have a look at that given GUI,
>  than to write code/unit tests). I think it's a worthwhile cause :)
i never assumed that we exclude the nice features like  NodeType Mgmt,
Securit Mgmt or Export/Import from the donated explorer. currently we
just wait for our GUI designer to come up with a opensource compatible
design, since we're currently using non-opensource icons. as soon as
this is adjusted, we're ready to migrate the stuff.

--
regards, toby

Re: Content explorer (Re: Jackrabbit 1.5 release plan)

Posted by Greg Klebus <gr...@klebus.com>.
Hi

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 9:11 AM, Angela Schreiber <an...@day.com> wrote:
> Jukka Zitting wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 2:23 PM, Paco Avila <pa...@git.es> wrote:
> >
> > >  I've been testing "CRX Content Explorer" and looks great :) But now I
> > >  have a question because I've seen the Access-Control Editor : how do
> you
> > >  implement the ACL? There is no default ACL managemente in Jackrabbit.
> > >

> > I guess we'd disable the ACL editor in Jackrabbit 1.5, and bring it
> > back in Jackrabbit 2.0 when Angela's work for JSR 283 access control
> > is finished.

Disabling the CRX ACL editor is surely one of the tasks we need to do
before donating.

And at the same time we might also try to create a prototype UI for
current work-in-progress ACLs already in Jackrabbit 1.5? This of
course is subject to further work to make it compatible with final
specification.

>  it's already committed to jackrabbit trunk. i just didn't
>  change the default configuration yet to the in-spe default
>  implementation, since there are still known issues and
>  since i didn't take a closer look a performance optimization
>  yet.
>
>  basically the overall structure is there.

I chatted with Angela this morning and having a UI for the ACLs would
help test the stuff - her personally, and also would also make more
people verify it (it's easier to even have a look at that given GUI,
than to write code/unit tests). I think it's a worthwhile cause :)

WDYT?

Cheers
Greg

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 10:11 AM, Angela Schreiber <an...@day.com> wrote:
> Jukka Zitting wrote:
> > I guess we'd disable the ACL editor in Jackrabbit 1.5, and bring it
> > back in Jackrabbit 2.0 when Angela's work for JSR 283 access control
> > is finished.
>
>  it's already committed to jackrabbit trunk. i just didn't
>  change the default configuration yet to the in-spe default
>  implementation, since there are still known issues and
>  since i didn't take a closer look a performance optimization
>  yet.

Cool! Then I think we can keep the ACL editor, as long as someone
adapts the implementation to the JSR 283 access control API (or a
Jackrabbit-specific lookalike).

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Content explorer (Re: Jackrabbit 1.5 release plan)

Posted by Angela Schreiber <an...@day.com>.
Jukka Zitting wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 2:23 PM, Paco Avila <pa...@git.es> wrote:
>>  I've been testing "CRX Content Explorer" and looks great :) But now I
>>  have a question because I've seen the Access-Control Editor : how do you
>>  implement the ACL? There is no default ACL managemente in Jackrabbit.
>
> I guess we'd disable the ACL editor in Jackrabbit 1.5, and bring it
> back in Jackrabbit 2.0 when Angela's work for JSR 283 access control
> is finished.

it's already committed to jackrabbit trunk. i just didn't
change the default configuration yet to the in-spe default
implementation, since there are still known issues and
since i didn't take a closer look a performance optimization
yet.

basically the overall structure is there.
angela

Re: Content explorer (Re: Jackrabbit 1.5 release plan)

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Paco Avila <pa...@git.es>.
El lun, 21-04-2008 a las 00:22 +0200, Greg Klebus escribió:
> We at Day decided to donate the CRX Content Explorer, part of our
> Content Repository Extreme product, to the community / Jackrabbit. For
> those, who'd like to have a look at the current CRX content explorer,
> please see the live CRX demo [2] and click on 'Content Explorer' link
> to play with it.

I've been testing "CRX Content Explorer" and looks great :) But now I
have a question because I've seen the Access-Control Editor : how do you
implement the ACL? There is no default ACL managemente in Jackrabbit.

Cheers!

--
Paco Avila <pa...@git.es>
GIT Consultors