Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Martijn Smit <Ex...@Gangkast.com> on 2005/08/22 10:33:02 UTC

displaying JSP errors on screen

Hello list,

Since I've upgraded struts a while back all my JSP generated errors are
only seen at the console. How do tinker my config so that I see een JSP
error in my browser once more?
I'm sorry to ask this question here, bus since the terms of my question
are somewhat 'generic' I'm not finding any answers...

Thanks in advance,
Martijn

--
31.69 nHz = once a year

Re: displaying JSP errors on screen

Posted by Martijn Smit <Ex...@Gangkast.com>.
Hi Ulrich,

Indeed i do use tiles. I haven't tried a pure jsp as all my pages always
descend from some base.jsp which is defined in my tiles-defs. Hmm, but
this is something I can work with. Never thought that it could be the
tiles plugin... Perhaps some property I can set in the definition or the
JspException is silently catched..

I'll get back to you..

thanks,
Martijn

Posted by Martijn Smit <Ex...@Gangkast.com>.
Hi Frank,

Thanks for your time. In fact the 'errors' I expect are mostly
<bean:write> tags where the expected object cannot be found in any of
the scopes. I used to get those "javax.servlet.jsp.JspException: Cannot
find bean xyz in any scope" in my browser but since I switched to 1.2.x
they are all silent and I only see them in my Eclipse console. Which is
quite ok, but this is itching for some time now.

Could be I'm barking up the wrong tree here and forgot to define a
valve/logger/whatever in my context of overlooked some 'tinkering' at
another config file which accidentally slipped in all my new projects...

regards,
Martijn

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.
Hi Martijn,

Struts doesn't inherently do anything (that I'm aware of at least) to
stop JSP errors from being displayed in the browser... in fact it's kind
of unlikely it could since it's more or less out of the picture by the
time the JSP is executing (taglib code notwithstanding).  Has anything
else changed that could cause this?  Anything having to do with JSP
error page or something like that?

And, a slightly more pointed question :) ... are you sure the errors you
expect to see in the browser are really errors in the JSP?
Generally-speaking, runtime JSP errors are rare (they certainly should
be), and I'm assuming that's what we're talking about here rather than
compile-time errors.

--
Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect