Posted to slide-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Oliver Zeigermann <oz...@c1-fse.de> on 2004/07/13 13:25:26 UTC

Re: WebDAV and Notifications

Stefan Lützkendorf wrote:
> 3. Currently Subscriptions are transient. I.e. if the server restarts,
>   all subscriptions are lost. So observation of an WebDAV server may be
>   incomplete.
>   Has anybody thought about makeing subscriptions persitent?
>   I think about storing them as resources under a special path
>   (configurable, something like /subscriptions). Events catched for the
>   subscriptions must be stored too, may be as content of the resource.

Hmmm. What is the use case you have in mind for persistent
subscriptions? I know Daniel had something in mind like clustering,
multiple edit clients that are notified of each other changes, etc. I do
not think they would need persistent subscriptions.

Anyway, what is your idea?

Oliver

Re: WebDAV and Notifications

Posted by Oliver Zeigermann <oz...@c1-fse.de>.

Stefan Lützkendorf wrote:

> Oliver Zeigermann wrote:
>
>> Stefan Lützkendorf wrote:

>>> I thougth about an application that observes a webdav server, maybe to
>>> index documents, or to keep a workflow system uptodate.
>>> If the webdav server application is restarted, for what reasons ever,
>>> there will be a time where changes on the webdav server are lost,
>>

>> I see. So maybe it should be configurable in a header or wherever if
>> the subscription shall be persistet. Maybe also something like a
>> timeout or time to live for a persistent subscription. Storing it to
>> /subscriptions as an ordinary resource, maybe encoded in XML, sounds
>> like a good idea to me.
>>
>> Do you volunteer to persue this? If so, will it be ready for a beta in
>> early August?
>>
> Early August will be to early, but I'll persue this.

Great! No hurry, keep it fun and let's see how this evolves...

Oliver

Re: WebDAV and Notifications

Posted by Stefan Lützkendorf <lu...@apache.org>.
Oliver Zeigermann wrote:
> Stefan Lützkendorf wrote:
>

>> Oliver Zeigermann wrote:

>>> Hmmm. What is the use case you have in mind for persistent
>>> subscriptions? I know Daniel had something in mind like clustering,
>>> multiple edit clients that are notified of each other changes, etc. I
>>> do not think they would need persistent subscriptions.
>>>
>>> Anyway, what is your idea?
>>

>> I thougth about an application that observes a webdav server, maybe to
>> index documents, or to keep a workflow system uptodate.
>> If the webdav server application is restarted, for what reasons ever,
>> there will be a time where changes on the webdav server are lost,
>

> I see. So maybe it should be configurable in a header or wherever if the
> subscription shall be persistet. Maybe also something like a timeout or
> time to live for a persistent subscription. Storing it to /subscriptions
> as an ordinary resource, maybe encoded in XML, sounds like a good idea
> to me.
>
> Do you volunteer to persue this? If so, will it be ready for a beta in
> early August?

Early August will be to early, but I'll persue this.

Regards, Stefan

Re: WebDAV and Notifications

Posted by Oliver Zeigermann <oz...@c1-fse.de>.
Stefan Lützkendorf wrote:

> Oliver Zeigermann wrote:
>
>> Stefan Lützkendorf wrote:
>>
>>> 3. Currently Subscriptions are transient. I.e. if the server restarts,
>>>   all subscriptions are lost. So observation of an WebDAV server may be
>>>   incomplete.
>>>   Has anybody thought about makeing subscriptions persitent?
>>>   I think about storing them as resources under a special path
>>>   (configurable, something like /subscriptions). Events catched for the
>>>   subscriptions must be stored too, may be as content of the resource.
>>

>> Hmmm. What is the use case you have in mind for persistent
>> subscriptions? I know Daniel had something in mind like clustering,
>> multiple edit clients that are notified of each other changes, etc. I
>> do not think they would need persistent subscriptions.
>>
>> Anyway, what is your idea?
>
> I thougth about an application that observes a webdav server, maybe to
> index documents, or to keep a workflow system uptodate.
> If the webdav server application is restarted, for what reasons ever,
> there will be a time where changes on the webdav server are lost,

I see. So maybe it should be configurable in a header or wherever if the
subscription shall be persistet. Maybe also something like a timeout or
time to live for a persistent subscription. Storing it to /subscriptions
as an ordinary resource, maybe encoded in XML, sounds like a good idea
to me.

Do you volunteer to persue this? If so, will it be ready for a beta in
early August?

Cheers,
Oliver

Re: WebDAV and Notifications

Posted by Stefan Lützkendorf <lu...@apache.org>.
Oliver Zeigermann wrote:
> Stefan Lützkendorf wrote:
>
>> 3. Currently Subscriptions are transient. I.e. if the server restarts,
>>   all subscriptions are lost. So observation of an WebDAV server may be
>>   incomplete.
>>   Has anybody thought about makeing subscriptions persitent?
>>   I think about storing them as resources under a special path
>>   (configurable, something like /subscriptions). Events catched for the
>>   subscriptions must be stored too, may be as content of the resource.
>

> Hmmm. What is the use case you have in mind for persistent
> subscriptions? I know Daniel had something in mind like clustering,
> multiple edit clients that are notified of each other changes, etc. I do
> not think they would need persistent subscriptions.
>
> Anyway, what is your idea?
I thougth about an application that observes a webdav server, maybe to
index documents, or to keep a workflow system uptodate.
If the webdav server application is restarted, for what reasons ever,
there will be a time where changes on the webdav server are lost,
i.e. the observer is not informed, until it subscribes again.
If subscriptions are persitent, the server knows about them afer restart,
and no interruption of the observation does occur.

May be it is sufficent to have short subscription lifetimes, and
refresh the subscriptions often, so the interuption may be short
enought.

Posted by Stefan Lützkendorf <lu...@apache.org>.
Michael Oliver wrote:
> I am starting work on a persistent mechanism for storing the
> subscriptions in xml in a particular path.

Fine!