Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Anthony Gardner <cy...@yahoo.co.uk> on 2006/11/09 10:57:33 UTC

Is Apache::TestRequest for me?

I'm trying to think of a way to do a test plan for a site that is already well developed but is going through a structural change rather than a content change.

To cut a long story short, for future development we want to implement a good test suite to test the html in the response. At present, they just do visual tests.

>From what I've seen on CPAN, Apache::Test is used to test Apache::* modules (we don't write any at this time) and Apache::TestRequest is looking good for me ..... but is it what I want?

For example, to catch the final output from the response phase of the request and then test the resulting (potentially large) html to see if there is a small chunk of expected html there (i.e hiden fields).

This may sound like bread 'n butter to most of you but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Is Apache::TestRequest for me?

Posted by Anthony Gardner <cy...@yahoo.co.uk>.
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check them out. as for Apache::TestRequest, I agree with what you say ......... I thought it'd be a lot of work to write 'test' handlers but didn't know of any other options.

cheers

"Philip M. Gollucci" <pg...@p6m7g8.com> wrote: Anthony Gardner wrote:
> I'm trying to think of a way to do a test plan for a site that is
> already well developed but is going through a structural change rather
> than a content change.
>
> To cut a long story short, for future development we want to implement a
> good test suite to test the html in the response. At present, they just
> do visual tests.
>
>  From what I've seen on CPAN, Apache::Test is used to test Apache::*
> modules (we don't write any at this time) and Apache::TestRequest is
> looking good for me ..... but is it what I want?
>
> For example, to catch the final output from the response phase of the
> request and then test the resulting (potentially large) html to see if
> there is a small chunk of expected html there (i.e hiden fields).
>
> This may sound like bread 'n butter to most of you but any suggestions
> would be greatly appreciated.
You might look at HTTP::Webtest or WWW::Mechanize

Also, httpd-serf and httpd-test from the httpd.apache.org.

Apache-Test is more for testing your PERL code -- but theres nothing
really stopping you from using it to issue requests to "handlers" then
check the responses though I wouldn't recommend it.

I never had a dream come true
'Til the day that I found you.
Even though I pretend that I've moved on
You'll always be my baby.
I never found the words to say
You're the one I think about each day
And I know no matter where life takes me to
A part of me will always be...
A part of me will always be with you.

Re: Is Apache::TestRequest for me?

Posted by "Philip M. Gollucci" <pg...@p6m7g8.com>.