Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu> on 2016/03/28 02:03:02 UTC

[RESULT][VOTE] Release Apache FreeMarker 2.3.24 (incubating)

The vote for releasing Apache FreeMarker 2.3.24 (incubating) passed
with 5 binding "+1" votes, and no "0" or "-1" votes.

Binding votes:
  Jacopo Cappellato +1
  Jean-Baptiste Onofré +1
  John D. Ament +1
  Justin Mclean +1
  Sergio Fernández +1 (voted on dev@freemarker.incubator.apache.org only)

Non-binding votes (on dev@freemarker.incubator.apache.org only):
  Daniel Dekany +1
  David E Jones +1
  Evangelia Dendramis +1

Thanks to those who were able to take the time to vote.

 Daniel Dekany

Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Release Apache FreeMarker 2.3.24 (incubating)

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
On Sun, Mar 27, 2016 at 8:53 PM Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>
wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 27, 2016 at 5:48 PM, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>
> wrote:
>
> > From memory it was that they are not automatically transferred (but I
> could
> > be wrong). Otherwise podlings could skip voting on the incubator list
> > altogether if they had 3 +1 votes on the dev list. IMO It’s not exactly
> hard
> > for IPMC member to vote in both places to make things clearer.
>
> Ah, now I understand where you're coming from.
>
> Other IPMC members must be given the opportunity to inspect a release, so
> the
> vote on general@incubator cannot be skipped.  However, IPMC votes can be
> "carried over", by tradition, from the podling dev list.

Yes, and most recently we have had issues with two podlings attempting to
use this as a way to not even hold a vote on the incubator list.  Those
were corrected.

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> This has come up before, and I believe the last consensus was that votes on
> the dev lists automatically transferred.

From memory it was that they are not automatically transferred (but I could be wrong). Otherwise podlings could skip voting on the incubator list altogether if they had 3 +1 votes on the dev list. IMO It’s not exactly hard for IPMC member to vote in both places to make things clearer.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Release Apache FreeMarker 2.3.24 (incubating)

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> There's been a long tradition in the Incubator of "carrying over" IPMC
> votes from the podling dev list. And let's consider why -- is there
> really a benefit to having IPMC members cast votes twice

Yes it’s then clear on the this list how many +1 votes there currently is before the results are announced. I for instance may not look at a vote until someone more familiar with the project has voted on it. If 3 or more +1 are “hidden" on the dev list then a vote may pass without any IPMC member outside ether project giving it the once over.As have been shown many times there’s sometime things that IPMC people outside the project may pick up that the project has missed. And what about non +1 other votes, for instance do -1 or +0 carry over as well?

>  Would we ever want to block a release that had 2 IPMC votes on
> general@incubator and 1 cast only on the podling dev list?

Has this happened? It could be easily solved if it did come up i.e. by voting on the IPMC list.

> I think it makes sense for the Release Manager list the IPMC votes
> being carried over,

Perhaps in the initial IPMC vote and not just only in the results would be better?

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Release Apache FreeMarker 2.3.24 (incubating)

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Sun, Mar 27, 2016 at 5:34 PM, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> No a big deal (as it passed), but only votes on the incubator list by the incubator PMC are binding.

Hi Justin,

There's been a long tradition in the Incubator of "carrying over" IPMC
votes from the podling dev list. And let's consider why -- is there
really a benefit to having IPMC members cast votes twice, or a
drawback to having them not cast a vote which obviously has the same
value? Would we ever want to block a release that had 2 IPMC votes on
general@incubator and 1 cast only on the podling dev list?

I think it makes sense for the Release Manager list the IPMC votes
being carried over, because then it is more apparent when a release is
lacking IPMC votes.  However, that's just a recommendation -- even if
they don't do that, the IPMC votes can be counted.

Marvin Humphrey

Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Release Apache FreeMarker 2.3.24 (incubating)

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,