Posted to user@jspwiki.apache.org by sa...@tkk.fi on 2008/05/14 11:48:35 UTC

Getting Started

I'm trying to build my first wiki with JSPWiki 2.6.2. I wonder whether
anyone might want to clarify a few points.

1) The README that came with the .zip file says simply to put
JSPWiki.war into $CATALINA_HOME/webapps. However, the more detailed
explanation at

http://doc.jspwiki.org/2.4/wiki/InstallingJSPWikiStepByStep

says that you can put JSPWiki.war "anywhere, EXCEPT in the webapps
folder of your Tomcat home". Which is correct? Or better?

2) If I put JSPWiki.war into $CATALINA_HOME/webapps and access Install.jsp,
then an admin account seems to get created with user id {0} and
password {1}. What do the curly-brace expressions mean? I can't figure
them out.

3) If I do as

http://doc.jspwiki.org/2.4/wiki/InstallingJSPWikiStepByStep

says and put JSPWiki.war's contents somewhere else than
$CATALINA_HOME/webapps, then how do I tell Tomcat where to look for
the wiki? The document seems to presuppose there is a folder like

/usr/local/apache-tomcat-5.5.17/conf/Catalina/localhost

where one is supposed to put a property file called something like
myfirstwiki.xml (where <myfirstwiki<> is the name of a wiki.) But my
Tomcat 6.0.16 does not have a directory like that:
sakari@gongli:~> ll $CATALINA_HOME/conf
total 92
-rw------- 1 sakari users  8568 2008-01-29 00:39 catalina.policy
-rw------- 1 sakari users  3665 2008-01-29 00:39 catalina.properties
-rw------- 1 sakari users  1396 2008-01-29 00:39 context.xml
-rw------- 1 sakari users  3664 2008-01-29 00:39 logging.properties
-rw------- 1 sakari users  6462 2008-01-29 00:39 server.xml
-rw-r--r-- 1 sakari users    70 2008-05-14 11:16 tomcat-users.xml
-rw------- 1 sakari users 51226 2008-01-29 00:39 web.xml
sakari@gongli:~>

Thank you,
Sakari Aaltonen

Re: Getting Started

Posted by Vlado Peshov <vl...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 11:48 AM, <sa...@tkk.fi> wrote:

> I'm trying to build my first wiki with JSPWiki 2.6.2. I wonder whether
> anyone might want to clarify a few points.
>

> 1) The README that came with the .zip file says simply to put JSPWiki.war
> into $CATALINA_HOME/webapps. However, the more detailed explanation at
>
> http://doc.jspwiki.org/2.4/wiki/InstallingJSPWikiStepByStep
>
> says that you can put JSPWiki.war "anywhere, EXCEPT in the webapps folder
> of your Tomcat home". Which is correct? Or better?

You can put the .war file in your $CATALINA_HOME/webapps or you can put that
war anywhere else. The better one is to put the war outside webapps
directory.

3) If I do as

> http://doc.jspwiki.org/2.4/wiki/InstallingJSPWikiStepByStep
>
> says and put JSPWiki.war's contents somewhere else than
> $CATALINA_HOME/webapps, then how do I tell Tomcat where to look for the
> wiki? The document seems to presuppose there is a folder like
>
> /usr/local/apache-tomcat-5.5.17/conf/Catalina/localhost
>
> where one is supposed to put a property file called something like
> myfirstwiki.xml (where <myfirstwiki<> is the name of a wiki.) But my Tomcat
> 6.0.16 does not have a directory like that:
> sakari@gongli:~> ll $CATALINA_HOME/conf
> total 92
> -rw------- 1 sakari users  8568 2008-01-29 00:39 catalina.policy
> -rw------- 1 sakari users  3665 2008-01-29 00:39 catalina.properties
> -rw------- 1 sakari users  1396 2008-01-29 00:39 context.xml
> -rw------- 1 sakari users  3664 2008-01-29 00:39 logging.properties
> -rw------- 1 sakari users  6462 2008-01-29 00:39 server.xml
> -rw-r--r-- 1 sakari users    70 2008-05-14 11:16 tomcat-users.xml
> -rw------- 1 sakari users 51226 2008-01-29 00:39 web.xml
> sakari@gongli:~>

You can create those directories by yourself. But be carefull with the
permissions.

Regards, Vlado

Re: Poll: 2.6.3?

Posted by Alexey Kakunin <ak...@emdev.ru>.
Hello!

Is it possible to include our patch suggested in
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JSPWIKI-252 into 2.6.3?

Problem with renaming is really serious:  especially in case it clean "Main"
page. So, if JspWiki will be used for some site, renaming may clean
from-page of this site - that is not good.

It is clear PageRenamer is gone - but seems it is gone in 2.7 - and it will
be nice to see fix for this bug in 2.6.3

Thank you.

With best regards,
Alexey Kakunin

Re: Poll: 2.6.3?

Posted by Andrew Jaquith <an...@mac.com>.
+1

Re: Poll: 2.6.3?

Posted by David Gao <da...@gmail.com>.
Done.  #JSPWIKI-271

David Gao

Re: Poll: 2.6.3?

Posted by Janne Jalkanen <Ja...@ecyrd.com>.

Re: Poll: 2.6.3?

Posted by David Gao <da...@gmail.com>.

--
David Gao (davidgjm@gmail.com)

Re: Poll: 2.6.3?

Posted by Janne Jalkanen <Ja...@ecyrd.com>.

Re: Poll: 2.6.3?

Posted by David Gao <da...@gmail.com>.
+1

Re: Poll: 2.6.3?

Posted by Janne Jalkanen <Ja...@ecyrd.com>.

Re: Poll: 2.6.3?

Posted by Florian Holeczek <fl...@holeczek.de>.
+1

Poll: 2.6.3?

Posted by Janne Jalkanen <Ja...@ecyrd.com>.

> This is/was a bug. {0} and {1} should normally be replaced by the
> created user id and password. The bug has already been fixed, but only
> in v2.7.0-svn3. See https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JSPWIKI-225
> for details.

OK, ok... Shall we release a 2.6.3?  Give me a couple of +1s and I'll
open it on the tracker...

/Janne

Re: UTF-8 and Search

Posted by sa...@tkk.fi.
Quoting Florian Holeczek <fl...@holeczek.de>:

> Have a look at http://www.jspwiki.org/wiki/TomcatAndUTF8

Problem solved - thank you!

(It's not only JSPWiki that is new to me; Tomcat is, too...)

Sakari Aaltonen

Re: UTF-8 and Search

Posted by Florian Holeczek <fl...@holeczek.de>.
Have a look at http://www.jspwiki.org/wiki/TomcatAndUTF8

 Florian

Ursprüngliche Nachricht vom 20.05.2008 um 13:46:
> We have been editing several pages with text containing "Nordic"
> characters - words like "pöytäkirja", say. No problems. Now, however,
> someone wanted to search for this word, and typed it into the Search
> box (where it first says "Quick Navigation"). But on the Search page
> that opened, it read "pöytäkirja", changed, apparently, by JSPWiki.

> The search was, of course, unsuccessful.

> What am I doing wrong? The file
> $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/JSPWiki/WEB-INF/jspwiki.properties does include
> the line

>     jspwiki.encoding = UTF-8

> Thank you,
> Sakari Aaltonen

UTF-8 and Search

Posted by sa...@tkk.fi.

Re: Hyperlinks starting with file:

Posted by Dirk Frederickx <di...@gmail.com>.
Here's a quick solution  (didn't test it ;-)

1) go to PageContent.jsp

2) find the first </wiki:Tab> element

3) Insert this line just before that line

    <wiki:Include page="AttachmentTab.jsp"/>

Hit refresh on your browser to see the attachment table on the front page too.

good luck

dirk

Posted by Gavin Goldsmith <gg...@pnp.co.za>.

Gavin

Read our disclaimer at: http://www.picknpay.co.za/pnp/view/pnp/en/page5093?
If you don't have web access, the disclaimer can be mailed to you on request.
Disclaimer requests to be sent to it-security@pnp.co.za

Posted by Florian Holeczek <fl...@holeczek.de>.
>> Hmm... Try this on sandbox.jspwiki.org, there you'll see!
>> I've just attached a picture to the Main page.
>>
>> Maybe your configuration is missing something and therefore no
>> attachments are included (but that's just a guess).
>>

> A very useful tip; thank you. I tried it and, yes, I was able to add
> an .XLS file as an attachment *and* have OpenOffice launched when I
> clicked on the file's name. This is *almost* what I'm looking for. It
> would be even better if the file name was visible somewhere on the
> page, rather than sort of hidden "under" the Attach button.

> Yes, my configuration is sure to miss something (I have basically
> unzipped JSPWiki-corepages.zip.) But what is it?

We were mailing off the list here.
Have a look at Gavin Goldsmith's response regarding configuration.

Florian

Re: Hyperlinks starting with file:

Posted by Florian Holeczek <fl...@holeczek.de>.

Quoting Janne Jalkanen <Ja...@ecyrd.com>:

> Look under the "Attach" tab.  They were delegated off the main page in
> the default template for clarity's sake.  It's trivial for you to
> change the template to show them under the page text, if that is what
> you want.

Thank you, but, well, it's not trivial for me. At the moment, I don't
even understand what a template does, let alone which (default)
template to change, and how. (When I look under the "Attach" tab, all

Posted by Janne Jalkanen <Ja...@ecyrd.com>.

Posted by Janne Jalkanen <Ja...@ecyrd.com>.

> Sounds reasonable. However, in our case we have a number of
> documents of various types - Word, Excel, TeX, PDF, PowerPoint,
> etc. that we want publish to all users of the wiki. It seems very
> complicated and error-prone to try to transform all these existing
> documents into some JSPWiki format (by plugins?). Instead, it would
> be much easier, I think, to keep the documents as they are, and
> just launch an appropriate program (in a separate window or tab)
> when a user clicks on the name of a document, wanting to have a
> closer look.

Why can't you use attachments?

As everyone has pointed out, the blocking of file:// URLs is a
security feature mandated by the browser, and JSPWiki can not
influence it in any way.

/Janne

Re: Hyperlinks starting with file:

Posted by Murray Altheim <mu...@altheim.com>.
Janne Jalkanen wrote:
>> You can edit the file extensions recognized by JSPWiki as attachments
>> by editing the value of jspwiki.attachment.allow in
>> $WIKI_HOME/WEB-INF/jspwiki.properties. If you were providing links
>
> Wrong.  Any file attached as an attachment is recognized as an
> attachment.  As is logical.
>
> The jspwiki.attachment.allow only influences the uploading of
> attachments - which attachment types may be uploaded.

The jspwiki.attachment.* properties are as you say only influential
on attachments, which is one of the possible solutions to this
problem. The other was my suggestion of a plugin index of a
directory, a directory within the wiki hierarchy that could be served
via http:. I wasn't meaning to imply otherwise; they are two separate
suggestions.

Murray

                                       -- The Blue Cliff Record

Re: Hyperlinks starting with file:

Posted by Janne Jalkanen <Ja...@ecyrd.com>.

Posted by Murray Altheim <mu...@altheim.com>.
Gavin Goldsmith wrote:
> Hi
>
>> Sounds reasonable. However, in our case we have a number of
>> documents of various types - Word, Excel, TeX, PDF,
>> PowerPoint, etc. that we want publish to all users of the
>> wiki.
>>
> A possible solution is to create a shared folder within the structres
> which  JSPWiki/Tomcat is able to "serve up". The files can then be
> placed there and accessed with standard markup, e.g. [Label/Description
> | http://servername/JSPWiki/images/xmlCoffeeCup.png].
>
> You can do this with all file types recognised by JSPWiki (there was a
> reference to this on this list earlier today).

Yes, and the directory used could even be a symbolic link, i.e., you
wouldn't have to move the files from their existing location. It
would be relatively easy to write a plugin* to provide an index of the
files in a given directory, so you could even avoid having to do any
manual creation of links (which would be the case if you were to use
attachments).

You can edit the file extensions recognized by JSPWiki as attachments
by editing the value of jspwiki.attachment.allow in
$WIKI_HOME/WEB-INF/jspwiki.properties. If you were providing links
to files in a directory the the file extensions are handled by the
user's browser. These would of course be http: protocol links, not
file: links (since they're being served by Apache/your server from
a suitable directory rather than an arbitrary location on the server).

Murray

* likely using java.io.File#listFiles()

                                       -- The Blue Cliff Record

RE: Hyperlinks starting with file:

Posted by Gavin Goldsmith <gg...@pnp.co.za>.
Hi

> Sounds reasonable. However, in our case we have a number of
> documents of various types - Word, Excel, TeX, PDF,
> PowerPoint, etc. that we want publish to all users of the
> wiki.

A possible solution is to create a shared folder within the structres
which  JSPWiki/Tomcat is able to "serve up". The files can then be
placed there and accessed with standard markup, e.g. [Label/Description
| http://servername/JSPWiki/images/xmlCoffeeCup.png].

You can do this with all file types recognised by JSPWiki (there was a
reference to this on this list earlier today).

Hope this helps some.

Lainaus Murray Altheim <mu...@altheim.com>:

> Sakari,
>
> It is indeed for security purposes. Few systems administrators would
> want to install software that permitted external users to access any
> file on a server, or even have access (at all) to the local file
> system. Wikis in general don't need such access so there's not much
> of an argument for including it.

Sounds reasonable. However, in our case we have a number of documents
of various types - Word, Excel, TeX, PDF, PowerPoint, etc. that we
want publish to all users of the wiki. It seems very complicated and
error-prone to try to transform all these existing documents into some
JSPWiki format (by plugins?). Instead, it would be much easier, I
think, to keep the documents as they are, and just launch an
appropriate program (in a separate window or tab) when a user clicks
on the name of a document, wanting to have a closer look.

(Also, the wiki is intended to be strictly internal to the workplace
here. We shall make an effort not to have external users.)

Posted by Murray Altheim <mu...@altheim.com>.
Sakari,

It is indeed for security purposes. Few systems administrators would
want to install software that permitted external users to access any
file on a server, or even have access (at all) to the local file
system. Wikis in general don't need such access so there's not much
of an argument for including it. It probably wouldn't be too difficult
to modify JSPWiki to permit it, but nobody would want that as a default.

Murray

sakari.aaltonen@tkk.fi wrote:
> http://www.jspwiki.org/wiki/TextFormattingRules says
>
> "The link can also be a direct URL starting with http:, ftp:, mailto:,
> https:, or news:, in which case the link points to an external entity. "
>
> I wonder why file: is not allowed. If I type something like
>    file://localhost/myanmar.xls
> into my browser's address field (and hit Enter), OpenOffice Calc is
> launched and opens the file named. It doesn't happen if, instead of
> file:, the link starts with http: (in which case I get the dreaded
> "Object not found!" error.)
>
> Now, I wanted to put a link like that (file:) into a JSPWiki page. But
> clicking it doesn't work - there is no error message, even. (If I start
> the link with http:, it's "Object not found!" again.)
>
> Just curious whether there is a reason for this, or whether it's
> something no one else finds useful...
>

> Sakari Aaltonen

Murray

                                       -- The Blue Cliff Record

Re: Hyperlinks starting with file:

Posted by Derek Hohls <DH...@csir.co.za>.
Not sure about IE, but here is a link regarding FF:
http://www.petersblog.org/node/1049

Lainaus Florian Holeczek <fl...@holeczek.de>:

> Hallo Sakari,
>
> I guess this is for security reasons, because file:// doesn't
> necessarily mean your computer, but the page requester's computer in
> general.
>
> I've once been experimenting with this and used the following InterWiki
> link in jspwiki.properties:
>
> jspwiki.interWikiRef.WindowsShare = file:///%s
>
> You can then define a link via [WindowsShare:c:/bla/xyz.txt] in your
> wiki pages.
>
> This link then appears correctly in the HTML code, but it seems as if
> modern browsers block it (clicking on it doesn't do anything in IE7
> and Firefox 2). However, this feature may be configurable.

I tried this, but there doesn't seem to be any real difference, as
just writing file: (directly) in the JSPWiki link results in HTML code
that is practically identical with that produced by the WindowsShare
explained above (just two instead of three slashes.) The browser
behavior is identical, too.

Apparently, something else is needed to make the browser launch an
application when needed (according to file type), which is what I'm
after here.

Thank you anyway,

Posted by Florian Holeczek <fl...@holeczek.de>.
Hallo Sakari,

I guess this is for security reasons, because file:// doesn't
necessarily mean your computer, but the page requester's computer in
general.

I've once been experimenting with this and used the following InterWiki
link in jspwiki.properties:

jspwiki.interWikiRef.WindowsShare = file:///%s

You can then define a link via [WindowsShare:c:/bla/xyz.txt] in your
wiki pages.

This link then appears correctly in the HTML code, but it seems as if
modern browsers block it (clicking on it doesn't do anything in IE7
and Firefox 2). However, this feature may be configurable.

Regards,
 Florian

Ursprüngliche Nachricht vom 16.05.2008 um 09:13:

Re: Getting Started

Posted by Florian Holeczek <fl...@holeczek.de>.

Re: Plugins vs. .doc/.xls/.ppt/.pdf/.avi/.mp3/.tex/...

Posted by Janne Jalkanen <Ja...@ecyrd.com>.
JSPWiki plugins are small pieces of code which allow more complicated
rendering thatn basic wikimarkup.

The application which opens your attachment is decided by the
browser, based on the file extension and the MIME type sent by the
server.  Check out the $CATALINA_HOME/conf/web.xml to see the mime
mappings used by the server.

Just linking to the attachment is quite enough.

/Janne

Re: Getting Started

Posted by Janne Jalkanen <Ja...@ecyrd.com>.
> 1) The README that came with the .zip file says simply to put
> JSPWiki.war into $CATALINA_HOME/webapps. However, the more detailed
> explanation at
>
> http://doc.jspwiki.org/2.4/wiki/InstallingJSPWikiStepByStep
>
> says that you can put JSPWiki.war "anywhere, EXCEPT in the webapps
> folder of your Tomcat home". Which is correct? Or better?

They're actually different instructions, as noted by the page: the
README is for simple installation, the latter is for a multi-wiki,
highly complicated installation.

Sorry for not being clearer on that - that's the thing with user-
contributed documentation ;-)

> 2) If I put JSPWiki.war into $CATALINA_HOME/webapps and access
> Install.jsp,
> then an admin account seems to get created with user id {0} and
> password {1}. What do the curly-brace expressions mean? I can't
> figure them out.

As someone mentioned, it's a bug...

/Janne