Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Jörn Nettingsmeier <ne...@apache.org> on 2007/11/16 12:54:48 UTC

Re: Proxy transformer and namespaces

Andreas Hartmann wrote:
> Hi Jörn,
>

> I declared a dedicated transformer for this (revision 595270).

yeah, as i said, that's much cleaner than my patch.

> IMO we shouldn't use one proxy transformer for all namespaces. I guess
> we should even rename the "proxy" transformer to "proxy-xhtml". WDYT?

i'd say no renames before 2.0. after that, +1.
*BUT*: we should be very careful about adding more proxy-dependent links
to other types of documents - each one is a bug waiting to happen and an
extra transform.
i think this stuff should be handled by special pipelines *in the
module*, not the generic module-resources ones. "resources" as we used
it implied "static resources" which implied <map:read/>. it needs to be
obvious that we are serving dynamic stuff with setup-dependant
transforms in them.
if the xhtml module thinks it has to be clever wrt rng includes, let it
handle the mess itself. making global provisions for this means
encouraging the use of includes, which is a double-edged sword,
especially since there are certainly rng engines out there that do not
resolve them. i'd say let's handle resolve the includes on the server
and pass just one monolithic rng to the client. it's bound to be faster
as well, less http overhead, and is very cacheable.

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier

   - Ken Thompson.