Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@apache.org> on 2014/08/18 23:02:35 UTC

[VOTE] Graduate Apache Storm to a TLP

Apache Storm has been incubating since September 2014. Since then we have added 3 additional committers (with another 2 approved and pending account creation), and performed two releases. The Storm community recently voted to graduate[1] with 11 +1 votes. Of the 11 votes, 2 were from IPMC members:

    - Arvind Prabhakar
    - Suresh Srinivas

I would now like to ask the IPMC to vote for the graduation of Apache Storm to a top-level project.

Please vote to indicate if Apache Storm is ready to graduate. The proposed board resolution is included below.

[ ] +1 Graduate Apache Storm as a TLP
[ ] +0 No opinion
[ ] -1 Do not graduate Apache Storm as a TLP because…

- Taylor

[1] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-storm-dev/201408.mbox/%3c6EA90E5B-792F-4EC2-B5FC-086CAF64222C@apache.org%3e

=================== Board Resolution ===================

    X. Establish the Apache Storm Project

       open-source software, for distribution at no charge to
       the public, related to distributed, fault-tolerant,
       and high-performance realtime computation.

       Committee (PMC), to be known as the "Apache Storm Project",
       Foundation; and be it further

       RESOLVED, that the Apache Storm Project be and hereby is
       related to distributed, fault-tolerant, and high-
       performance realtime computation; and be it further

       RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache Storm" be
       and hereby is created, the person holding such office to
       serve at the direction of the Board of Directors as the chair
       of the Apache Storm Project, and to have primary responsibility
       for management of the projects within the scope of
       responsibility of the Apache Storm Project; and be it further

       Apache Storm Project:

         * Derek Dagit      (dagit@apache.org)
         * Devaraj Das      (ddas@apache.org)
         * Ted Dunning      (tdunning@apache.org)
         * Robert Evans     (bobby@apache.org)
         * Andy Feng        (afeng@apache.org)
         * P. Taylor Goetz  (ptgoetz@apache.org)
         * Jason Jackson    (jjackson@apache.org)
         * Flip Kromer      (mrflip@apache.org)
         * David Lao        (dlao@apache.org)
         * Nathan Marz      (nathanmarz@apache.org)
         * Michael G. Noll  (miguno@apache.org)
	 * Arvind Prabhakar (arvind@apache.org)
         * James Xu         (xumingming@apache.org)

       NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that P. Taylor Goetz
       be appointed to the office of Vice President, Apache Storm, to
       serve in accordance with and subject to the direction of the
       death, resignation, retirement, removal or disqualification,
       or until a successor is appointed; and be it further

       RESOLVED, that the initial Apache Storm PMC be and hereby is
       tasked with the creation of a set of bylaws intended to
       encourage open development and increased participation in the
       Apache Storm Project; and be it further

       RESOLVED, that the Apache Storm Project be and hereby
       Incubator Storm podling; and be it further

       Incubator Storm podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator
       Project are hereafter discharged.

Re: [VOTE] Graduate Apache Storm to a TLP

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)

PMC and mentors voted to graduate, status looks good. Also seeing more
outreach from Storm folks, talks and presentations. Keep it up!

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: [VOTE] Graduate Apache Storm to a TLP

Posted by Jake Farrell <jf...@apache.org>.
+1

-Jake

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
On 20 August 2014 07:56, Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 11:02 PM, P. Taylor Goetz <pt...@apache.org>
> wrote:
> > ...Please vote to indicate if Apache Storm is ready to graduate. The
> proposed board resolution is included below....
>
> +1

+1

jan  i

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

Good work guys, congrats!

- Henry

[RESULT] [VOTE] Graduate Apache Storm to a TLP

Posted by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@apache.org>.
This vote is now closed, and passes with 10 binding +1 votes, and no +0 or -1 votes.

Vote results:

+1:
Chris Mattmann*
John D. Ament*
Ted Dunning*
Henry Saputra*
Justin Mclean*
Jake Farrell*
Andrew Purtell*
Chris Douglas*
Alan D. Cabrera*
Jan Iverson*

*IPMC binding vote

Thank you to everyone who voted.

On behalf of the Apache Storm community, I’d like to thank the the IPMC for everything they do (and did) to get the Apache Storm project to this milestone. That includes everyone who helped directly, as well as indirectly.

-Taylor

Posted by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@gmail.com>.
Hi Justin,

We are currently working on finalizing the Storm logo based on feedback from copyrights@ for our name search. Once that is complete, we'll likely do a refresh of the website to address branding requirements, etc. soon.

Thanks for pointing that out, as well the vote of confidence!

-Taylor

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Ted missed seeing the dev@ vote, else he (I) would have voted +1.

Posted by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@gmail.com>.
Hi Justin,

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

Fly little podling, fly!

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (3980)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
+1 (binding). Good luck!

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Chief Architect

Posted by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@gmail.com>.
> On Aug 18, 2014, at 5:27 PM, "John D. Ament" <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Storm is from the future? "September 2014"?

No, but my muscle memory apparently this so. :)

That should read "September 2013".

> Either way, +1 best of luck Storm!

Thanks John!

-Taylor

Re: [VOTE] Graduate Apache Storm to a TLP

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.
Congrats again for Apache Storm for being TLP, great work!  =)

- Henry

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the update Taylor. Just to make sure you guys working with
press@ for the official announcement.

Incubator projects are little bit scrutinized when making
announcements under ASF so I want to make sure HW understand about it.

Thanks,

Posted by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@gmail.com>.
Hi Henry,

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.