Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Ruotger Skupin <rs...@emagic.de> on 2004/10/15 10:55:07 UTC

working copy administrative data corrupted

Hi,

To work at home I have a working copy on a USB-stick (flash mem drive)
which I checked out at work. So I modify the source code at home (right
on the stick) take it back to work plug it in and commit it there.

Sometimes the working copy gets corrupted somehow:

Roddi:/Volumes/USBSTICK/Dev roddi$ svn st
svn: XML parser failed in ''
svn: Malformed XML: not well-formed (invalid token) at line 1

Roddi:/Volumes/USBSTICK/Dev roddi$ svn commit
svn: XML parser failed in '/Volumes/USBSTICK/Dev'
svn: Malformed XML: not well-formed (invalid token) at line 1

Roddi:/Volumes/USBSTICK/Dev roddi$ svn cleanup
svn: XML parser failed in ''
svn: Malformed XML: not well-formed (invalid token) at line 1

Any ideas?

Roddi

P.S.: work: Apple PowerBook MacOS X 10.3.5, svn 1.0.6 (installed via
fink)
          home: Apple PowerBook MacOS X 10.3.5, no svn

Re: working copy administrative data corrupted

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
"Simon Large" <sl...@blazepoint.co.uk> writes:
> > Yes.  Copy your working copy off the memory stick, get rid of the .svn
> > dirs, and then see what working files differ from the working copy on
> > your desktop machine.  Those are the ones that changed (inspect the
> > changes to make sure, adjust as necessary).
>
> Hang on, there is no WC on the desktop machine. The WC is on the USB
> stick, and moves between home and work. All he's done is checkout at
> work, modify at home, commit at work.

Yes, but he can presumably *get* a WC on the work machine pretty
easily, by checking one out.  Since he can commit from that box, I
assume he can check out to it as well.

> Sounds like something is munging the .svn directories.

I inferred from his mail that the problem was something to do with the
stick itself, i.e., that he's not reporting a Subversion bug, but
rather asking how to recover from a hardware bug.

-K

Re: working copy administrative data corrupted

Posted by Simon Large <sl...@blazepoint.co.uk>.
<kf...@collab.net> wrote
> Ruotger Skupin <rs...@emagic.de> writes:
> > To work at home I have a working copy on a USB-stick (flash mem
drive)
> > which I checked out at work. So I modify the source code at home
> > (right on the stick) take it back to work plug it in and commit it
> > there.
> > Sometimes the working copy gets corrupted somehow:
>
> Yes.  Copy your working copy off the memory stick, get rid of the .svn
> dirs, and then see what working files differ from the working copy on
> your desktop machine.  Those are the ones that changed (inspect the
> changes to make sure, adjust as necessary).

Hang on, there is no WC on the desktop machine. The WC is on the USB
stick, and moves between home and work. All he's done is checkout at
work, modify at home, commit at work.

Sounds like something is munging the .svn directories.

Simon

Re: working copy administrative data corrupted

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
Ruotger Skupin <rs...@emagic.de> writes:
> To work at home I have a working copy on a USB-stick (flash mem drive)
> which I checked out at work. So I modify the source code at home
> (right on the stick) take it back to work plug it in and commit it
> there.

I've redirected this to users@subversion.tigris.org, which is the
mailing list for questions like this...

> Sometimes the working copy gets corrupted somehow:
>
> Roddi:/Volumes/USBSTICK/Dev roddi$ svn st
> svn: XML parser failed in ''
> svn: Malformed XML: not well-formed (invalid token) at line 1
>
> Roddi:/Volumes/USBSTICK/Dev roddi$ svn commit
> svn: XML parser failed in '/Volumes/USBSTICK/Dev'
> svn: Malformed XML: not well-formed (invalid token) at line 1
>
> Roddi:/Volumes/USBSTICK/Dev roddi$ svn cleanup
> svn: XML parser failed in ''
> svn: Malformed XML: not well-formed (invalid token) at line 1
>
> Any ideas?

Yes.  Copy your working copy off the memory stick, get rid of the .svn
dirs, and then see what working files differ from the working copy on
your desktop machine.  Those are the ones that changed (inspect the
changes to make sure, adjust as necessary).

If your .svn/text-base/* files survived intact, you can try comparing
your working files against them, too.

In other words, the most obvious approaches here should work.

Good luck,
-Karl

Re: working copy administrative data corrupted

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Oct 18, 2004, at 6:34 PM, Ben Reser wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 15, 2004 at 12:55:07PM +0200, Ruotger Skupin wrote:
>> To work at home I have a working copy on a USB-stick (flash mem drive)
>> which I checked out at work. So I modify the source code at home
>> (right
>> on the stick) take it back to work plug it in and commit it there.
>>
>> Sometimes the working copy gets corrupted somehow:
>>
>> Roddi:/Volumes/USBSTICK/Dev roddi$ svn st
>> svn: XML parser failed in ''
>> svn: Malformed XML: not well-formed (invalid token) at line 1
>>
>> Roddi:/Volumes/USBSTICK/Dev roddi$ svn commit
>> svn: XML parser failed in '/Volumes/USBSTICK/Dev'
>> svn: Malformed XML: not well-formed (invalid token) at line 1
>>
>> Roddi:/Volumes/USBSTICK/Dev roddi$ svn cleanup
>> svn: XML parser failed in ''
>> svn: Malformed XML: not well-formed (invalid token) at line 1
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
> Flash memory has a fairly limited lifetime.  Your USB-stick may be
> going
> bad...

You could also post a tarball of your working copy for us to examine,
and so we can see exactly how the XML is not well-formed.  Most likely
it's an .svn/entries file.

Re: working copy administrative data corrupted

Posted by Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>.

--
Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>
http://ben.reser.org

"Conscience is the inner voice which warns us somebody may be looking."
- H.L. Mencken