Posted to dev@accumulo.apache.org by Billie Rinaldi <bi...@apache.org> on 2012/02/18 18:56:35 UTC

preparing for graduation

Here are the tasks we need to complete to prepare for graduation.

- establish name suitability
    complete https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PODLINGNAMESEARCH-3
    following this guide http://incubator.apache.org/guides/names.html
- choose a PMC chair
    I volunteer myself; others should feel free to volunteer or nominate
people as well
- draft a resolution
- hold a vote

The resolution is mostly boilerplate, and I've begun filling in
Accumulo-specific
information.  The main thing we need is a brief description of the
project's goals.
So far I have: creation and maintenance of open source software related to
providing
"a stable, scalable distributed key/value store with cell-level access
control."

Any thoughts?  Am I missing anything from the list?

Billie

Re: preparing for graduation

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
On Feb 18, 2012, at 9:56 AM, Billie Rinaldi wrote:

> Here are the tasks we need to complete to prepare for graduation.
>
> - establish name suitability
>    complete https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PODLINGNAMESEARCH-3
>    following this guide http://incubator.apache.org/guides/names.html
> - choose a PMC chair
>    I volunteer myself; others should feel free to volunteer or nominate
> people as well
> - draft a resolution
> - hold a vote
>
> The resolution is mostly boilerplate, and I've begun filling in
> Accumulo-specific
> information.  The main thing we need is a brief description of the
> project's goals.
> So far I have: creation and maintenance of open source software related to
> providing
> "a stable, scalable distributed key/value store with cell-level access
> control."
>
> Any thoughts?  Am I missing anything from the list?

I don't see anything left except for the above items.  I would support Accumulo's graduation.

Regards,
Alan

Re: preparing for graduation

Posted by Eric Newton <er...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by John Vines <jo...@ugov.gov>.
+1

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 10:04 AM, Billie J Rinaldi <

Posted by Adam Fuchs <ad...@ugov.gov>.
+1

Posted by Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com>.
I like both

Posted by Billie J Rinaldi <bi...@ugov.gov>.
On Thursday, February 23, 2012 10:56:10 AM, "David Medinets" <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Alternate wording so that I feel I am contributing...
>
> A robust, massively-scalable distributed key/value store with
> cell-based access control and customizable server-side processing.

I like most of the adjustments, but I think "massively" is a little much.  Unless anyone objects, let's use the following as our mission statement.

A robust, scalable distributed key/value store with cell-based access control and customizable server-side processing.

Posted by David Medinets <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Billie J Rinaldi <bi...@ugov.gov>.
On Tuesday, February 21, 2012 11:31:36 AM, "Keith Turner" <ke...@deenlo.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 10:51 AM, Billie J Rinaldi
> <bi...@ugov.gov> wrote:
> > On Saturday, February 18, 2012 12:56:35 PM, "Billie Rinaldi"
> > <bi...@apache.org> wrote:
> >> "a stable, scalable distributed key/value store with cell-level
> >> access
> >> control."
> >
> > Should we add something about efficient server-side computation?
>
> I think so. Throwing out a possible mod.
>
> a stable, scalable distributed key/value store with cell-level access
> control that supports server side key/value stream processing

How about this?  (I'm concerned about "stream processing" having overloaded meaning.)

Posted by Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com>.

Posted by Billie J Rinaldi <bi...@ugov.gov>.