Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com> on 2006/12/06 22:29:27 UTC

Re: Jetty 6 and JSP 2.1 support

On 12/6/06, Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> 2)  I'm about to try using the new jasper with jetty.  It seems like the
> web console works fine with the jsp 2.0 support provided by jasper.  I
> think that it should equally do fine with the jsp 2.1 support from
> jasper.  I like this approach because it has worked in the past and
> gives us some consistency between jetty and tomcat.  If it works then
> that pretty much settles it for me for the 2.0-M1 delivery.  However,
> longer term I'm concerned because it diverges from the path that jetty
> has taken which means we may be in for problems down the road even if
> things work fine now.  Does anybody know if the current jetty approach
> is a long-term decision or just a temporary one based upon the lack of
> jasper 2.1 support when they needed it?

If jasper 2.1 works with Jetty then IMO we should use it for 2.0-M1.
While this may not match the standalone jetty distribution it gives us
some consistency across geronimo assemblies. If someone develops a app
using the tomcat assembly it should work on the jetty assembly.  A
good example is Geronimo's admin console which works on both
assemblies (and I hope it stays that way :-)

And like you say, now that tomcat has released 6.0.2 beta the jetty
guys might be interested in using jasper from that release instead of
JSP from glassfish.

Best wishes,
Paul

Re: Jetty 6 and JSP 2.1 support

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.
Paul McMahan wrote:
> On 12/6/06, Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> 2)  I'm about to try using the new jasper with jetty.  It seems like the
>> web console works fine with the jsp 2.0 support provided by jasper.  I
>> think that it should equally do fine with the jsp 2.1 support from
>> jasper.  I like this approach because it has worked in the past and
>> gives us some consistency between jetty and tomcat.  If it works then
>> that pretty much settles it for me for the 2.0-M1 delivery.  However,
>> longer term I'm concerned because it diverges from the path that jetty
>> has taken which means we may be in for problems down the road even if
>> things work fine now.  Does anybody know if the current jetty approach
>> is a long-term decision or just a temporary one based upon the lack of
>> jasper 2.1 support when they needed it?
>

> If jasper 2.1 works with Jetty then IMO we should use it for 2.0-M1.
> While this may not match the standalone jetty distribution it gives us
> some consistency across geronimo assemblies. If someone develops a app
> using the tomcat assembly it should work on the jetty assembly.  A
> good example is Geronimo's admin console which works on both
> assemblies (and I hope it stays that way :-)
>
> And like you say, now that tomcat has released 6.0.2 beta the jetty
> guys might be interested in using jasper from that release instead of
> JSP from glassfish.

I just spoke with Greg on IRC and it appears that the jetty decision is
a long term decision to use glassfish over jasper.  They had concerns
with the response (or lack there-of) from the jasper folks and were
encouraged by the responses that they were getting from glassfish.  He
didn't think there would be any issues with using jasper with jetty if
we choose to go that route.

Joe