Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by YorkShen <ky...@apache.org> on 2019/10/25 08:52:46 UTC

Fwd: [VOTE] Graudate Apache Weex (Incubating) as a Top Level Project

Weex community is currently voting on graduation to a TLP, and this is a
notification to IPMC according to graduation guidelines [1]

[1]
https://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html#community_graduation_vote

Best Regards,
YorkShen

申远

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.
Hi YorkShen,

Weex needs to complete a Podling Name Search - https://incubator.apache.org/guides/names.html

An issue is created here - https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/PODLINGNAMESEARCH

Someone on the Podling needs to do the research. The VP, Brand will approve or ask questions. The Board is unlikely to approve graduation without an approved name.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.
Hi YorkShen,

Posted by 申远 <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Dave and Justin.

Thanks to both of you, I‘m really appreciated your help.

Just have a nice conversation with Dave, I think Weex still needs to be in
the Incubator for some time.

I replied earlier in the thread, but the response from Weex really should
> be to complete a Podling Name Search -
> https://incubator.apache.org/guides/names.html <
> https://incubator.apache.org/guides/names.html>

I will do it and discuss it in another mailing list, as this list is too
long already.

At ApacheCon Shane gavse a version of this talk which also may help:
> http://shaneslides.com/fossbackstage/Who-Owns-That-FOSS-Brand.pdf

Thanks, Justin, this talk really taught me something, I really wish I could
read it years before.

Best Regards
York Shen

申远

Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>于2019年11月1日 周五11:28写道:

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.
Hi YorkShen,

I replied earlier in the thread, but the response from Weex really should be to complete a Podling Name Search - https://incubator.apache.org/guides/names.html <https://incubator.apache.org/guides/names.html>

An issue is created here - https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/PODLINGNAMESEARCH <https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/PODLINGNAMESEARCH>

Someone on the Podling needs to do the research which should reveal any conflicts. The VP, Brand will approve or ask questions. It may be that some of these issues may require discussion about brand risk. Until the research is complete it is hard to know.

The Board is unlikely to approve graduation without the brand name being approved by the VP, Brand.

> Is there any other concerns you have about Weex towards graduation ?

These are the two. They are important. You are to be congratulated for overcoming the LGPL issue!

> FYI: Weex needs more active mentors, if possible. That would denifitely
> help.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by 申远 <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Justin.

Posted by ซ่อยค่อย ลืมเขาแน่ <09...@gmail.com>.

Posted by 申远 <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by ซ่อยค่อย ลืมเขาแน่ <09...@gmail.com>.

Posted by 申远 <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by 申远 <sh...@gmail.com>.
It seems like there are two concerns around Weex, branding and independent
community.

For branding part, I understand this is a serious issue, and it takes me
months to solve this kinds of issues, like donating weex-loader[1],
weex-cli [2] to ASF, upgrading POM meta [3], changing package name [4],
etc..  Again, there are over 1 million pages of Weex in Google, I can't
promosie all of them are fine(without branding issue). And due to the fact
that Weex once belongs to a company, not ASF, there are some NPM/POM
publishing records reflects that Weex once belongs to a commnay, and I
can't undo or delete that history. But we shall fix the brand issues once
we know it, maybe we could also write down a brand protection procedure.

For independent community part, I think there are two issues need to solve,
and two issues to make it clear.

   - Many committers were coming from the same company, though some of them
   (3 or 4, including some 2 PPMC members) have resigned from the commany. But
   still to many, I guess.
   - We used to ignore the difference between committers and PPMC members,
   that's reason why so many new committers and so less PPMC members. We are
   tyring to fix this issue by inviting all committers to Weex PMC during its
   graduaiton procedure. But we could fix it in another way, if its' needed.
   - Though there are 13 committers according to the initial proposal [5],
   but many of them are not committers today. Even me, listed as an inital
   commiter of Weex, but actually joined Weex community 4 months aftter its
   into the incubator. Just take the committers on the initial proposal as an
   inacurrate records, there are some mistakes on this list. Actually, if you
   considered fact that Weex Joined the Incubator in Dec, 2016, there are 4
   committer account created at that time [6]. So I guess the four of them are
   actually the inital committers(or PPMC members), rest of them are not
   (including me).
   - There are developers out of the comany make their own tools around
   Weex, and try to donate it to Weex. Currently, we're trying to encourage
   them to go through the IP clearance procedure and then nominate them as
   committer [7]. I guess this is some kinds of proof for independency, or
   diverse and active community at least.

[1] https://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/weex_loader.html
[2] https://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/weex_cli.html
[3] https://bintray.com/weex/Android/sdk
[4] https://weex.apache.org/download/major_change.html#_0-28
[5]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/b53537fea384f1d75c9921f71e13d17780381504cff971e5f18bda96@%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E
[6] https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/ppmc/weex
[7]
https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/weex-dev/201910.mbox/%3Ctencent_EA5069E21326C37D64F20CC18D885B3BAE05%40qq.com%3E

Best Regards,
YorkShen

申远

Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> 于2019年10月29日周二 下午4:04写道:

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Justin,

Thanks for pointing out these issues.  Weex has spent lot of time on
the release kit part during the incubation, but they also need to work
on growing a health community.
I will work with the Weex PPMC to figure out the solution of the
issues by filling the project maturity model.
For the branding protection, I think Weex PPMC also need to figure out
a solution at the meantime.

Willem Jiang

Twitter: willemjiang
Weibo: 姜宁willem

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Sorry perhaps I’m not being clear, let me try again.

The initial proposal contained 13 people (not 5). [1] The PMC currently consists of 14 people. All 13 of the initial committers/PPMC members work for the same company. One PMC member has been added a year ago [2], they seem to work for the same company.

It’s is a little difficult to match the initial list and the PPMC list but I can see most of the names (and looking a little deeper at the legal names) do match. Do all current PPMC work for the some company? Perhaps a couple have changed jobs since the initial proposal? While I cannot speak for the board, I think they would be unlikely to allow a project with this PMC composition (i.e all of the PMC working for a single company) to become a TLP. If I’m mistaken or missing something here please correct me.

I also believe the trademark/branding issues (even if fixed) show that this project is not ready to graduate. What actions are the (P)PMC going to take to protect their brand going forward?

I would like to hear from the mentors and see what they have to say as they are more familiar and closer to this project than I am.

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/b53537fea384f1d75c9921f71e13d17780381504cff971e5f18bda96@%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E
2. https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/76877f42a9c960bf2f56e6c022e60050441c7f2b1b4dac42695f2a18@%3Cprivate.weex.apache.org%3E

Re: [VOTE] Graudate Apache Weex (Incubating) as a Top Level Project

Posted by 申远 <sh...@gmail.com>.

> 1. I’m a little confused the email says " 11 PPMC members, 8 committers”,
> 11+8 == 19 where have the extras come from? (3 mentors?)

Yes, three of them are mentors.

2. You also didn’t answer how many PMC members you have added during
> incubation.

According to the whimsy page of Weex, there are 5 committers' account
created at the day of Weex donated to ASF, so, I guess we added
21-3(mentors)-5 = 13 committers(including PPMC)

3. I also notice 2 of your PPMC are not signed up to your price list is it
> expected that these be on the initial list of PMC members

They are initial committer/PPMC of Weex, and I can't get in touched for a
long time(over a year).  Based on "merit doesn't expire" rule, I think we'd
better keep them as they are.

4. I see by you reply some work needs to be done here and I suggest you
> also read those branding and trademark links.

Most of them are fine, but there is some work to be done. I guess one week
would be enough. I can't guarantee all pages in the WWW(things you can
google) doesn't violate the brand of ASF, as there are over 1 million pages
of Weex in Google search. But I could check top 20 or 30 pages of Google
search to make sure they doesn't violate the brand of ASF, and we will try
to solve any problems that reported to Weex PPMC.

Best Regards,
YorkShen

申远

Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> 于2019年10月28日周一 下午5:31写道:

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> According to whismy page of Weex, there are 23 committer(including PPMC
> member) of Weex.

I’m a little confused the email says " 11 PPMC members, 8 committers”, 11+8 == 19 where have the extras come from? (3 mentors?)

You also didn’t answer how many PMC members you have added during incubation

 I also notice 2 of your PPMC are not signed up to your price list is it expected that these be on the initial list of PMC members?

> Considering the fact that there are around 200
> contributors, 10% of them are committers, I think this is a normal
> situation(maybe other projects have higher percent of committers?), IMO.
>
> A quick search showed that there is also some branding/trademark issues
>> with these pages:
>>

> I can explain them one by, if this is needed.

The project needs to go those these one by one (and the other links not mentioned) and decide:
1. Would users be confused by this page? Would they think it is related or part of the Apache Weex project?
2. Are they using the Weex branding correctly? If not what needs to be done to fix this?

I see by you reply some work needs to be done here and I suggest you also read those branding and trademark links.

As this point I don’t think the project is ready to graduate, what do the mentors think?

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [VOTE] Graudate Apache Weex (Incubating) as a Top Level Project

Posted by 申远 <sh...@gmail.com>.

> How many PMC members and committer have been added since starting
> graduation?

According to whismy page of Weex, there are 23 committer(including PPMC
member) of Weex. Considering the fact that there are around 200
contributors, 10% of them are committers, I think this is a normal
situation(maybe other projects have higher percent of committers?), IMO.

A quick search showed that there is also some branding/trademark issues
> with these pages:

I can explain them one by, if this is needed.

   - https://github.com/weexteam This Github organization is created before
   Weex donation, and as you can see, most of the projects in this
   organization is archived, which means they are no longer maintained by the
   original authors, and the rest of them have proper name. I can delete this
   organization (After some negotiation, I am admin of the organization now)
   if it's needed. But someone else we don't know may create it again without
   our control.
   - https://developer.alibabacloud.com/opensource/project/weex This is a
   just introduction page of Weex in someone else's server, I don't see
   anything violate the brand of ASF. And a URL contained weex in a
   third-party server is not a problem(also far more beyond our control), IMO.
   - https://www.npmjs.com/package/weex-ui The author of the repo agree to
   donate [2] it to ASF, and I'm helping them in IP clearance procdure.
   - https://cocoapods.org/pods/WeexSDK *I agree with you*, there are some
   branding problems in this page, I will see what I can do.
   - https://bintray.com/alibabaweex/maven/weex_sdk/view This is the pom
   artificat of Weex before , and we're using a new address now [3]. I can add
   some exlanplation to address, but I can't change what is published.
   - https://natjs.com/#/ Another third-party project, and I don't see any
   problem here. Its name has nothing to do with Weex, and its introduction
   page "A powerful kit for adding native functionalities to your weex app."
   is fine to me, IMO.
   - https://github.com/natjs/nat Same above.
   - https://github.com/tralves/weex-todo-list Another third-party project,
   Its name has nothing to do with Weex, and its introduction page "A demo
   to-do list app, powered by Weex and Vue." is fine to me, IMO.
   - http://dotwe.org/vue We have marked it as third party in our website.

[1] https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/ppmc/weex
[2]
https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/weex-dev/201910.mbox/%3Ctencent_52455495A38322341536DC76283B69A47607%40qq.com%3E
[3] https://bintray.com/weex/Android/sdk
[4] https://weex.apache.org/tools/dotwe.html

Best Regards,
YorkShen

申远

Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> 于2019年10月26日周六 上午1:16写道:

Posted by ซ่อยค่อย ลืมเขาแน่ <09...@gmail.com>.
เมื่อ 28 ต.ค. 2019 2:42 PM "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com>
เขียนว่า

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Jan Piotrowski <pi...@gmail.com>.
> A quick search showed that there is also some branding/trademark issues with these pages:
> [...]

How can third party web sites be a "branding/trademark issue" for an
Apache project?

Am Fr., 25. Okt. 2019 um 19:16 Uhr schrieb Justin Mclean
<ju...@classsoftware.com>:

> Hi,
>
> >   - There are 11 PPMC members, 8 committers (excluding PPMC members) [2],
> >   and 192 Github contributors [3]
>
> How many PMC members and committer have been added since starting graduation?
>
> Having 200 odd contributors and only 8 committers seems like it could be an issue to me.
>
> Name wise these may be issues:
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mx.weex.ss&hl=en_US
> https://apkpure.com/weex-wallet/mx.weex.appwallet
> https://apps.apple.com/us/app/weex/id1036040019
> http://weex.mx
>
> A quick search showed that there is also some branding/trademark issues with these pages:
> https://github.com/weexteam
> https://developer.alibabacloud.com/opensource/project/weex
> https://www.npmjs.com/package/weex-ui
> https://cocoapods.org/pods/WeexSDK
> https://bintray.com/alibabaweex/maven/weex_sdk/view
> https://natjs.com/#/
> https://github.com/natjs/nat
> https://github.com/tralves/weex-todo-list
> http://dotwe.org/
> (and others!)
>
> Until we have seen the actual proposal there may be other issues. For instance we would need to know the makeup of the new PMC.
>
> Thanks,
> Justin

Re: [VOTE] Graudate Apache Weex (Incubating) as a Top Level Project

Posted by ju...@classsoftware.com.
Hi,

> How many PMC members and committer have been added since starting graduation?

Sorry since starting incubation I meant to say. I can see you had some committers but no PPMC members?

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [VOTE] Graudate Apache Weex (Incubating) as a Top Level Project

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,