Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com> on 2008/12/03 10:51:08 UTC

Keeping IPMC Membership Up To Date [WAS Re: [VOTE] [RESULT] Accept ESME into the Apache Incubator]

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 2:20 AM, Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday 02 December 2008 6:17:18 pm David Crossley wrote:
>> Darren Hague wrote:
>> > As there have been 8 positive votes with no negative votes, I would like
>> > to declare the vote PASSED.
>> >
>> > Votes were received from the following people:
>> > * Bertrand Delacretaz
>> > * Craig L Russell
>> >  Daniel Kulp
>> > * Davanum Srinivas
>> > * Ian Holsman
>> > * J Aaron Farr
>> > * Robert Burrell Donkin
>> > * Sylvain Wallez
>> >
>> > Those marked with * are binding votes - please correct me if I am wrong.
>>
>> I have not checked.
>>
>> You asked earlier how to find out who is on Incubator PMC
>> and hence binding votes:
>> http://people.apache.org/~jim/projects.html#incubator-pmc

cool  (i didn't realise this existed)

> Except Noel has been very bad lately about updating the committe-info that is
> used to generate this list.   For example, I SHOULD be listed (and thus my
> vote binding) since the board did Ack the request to add me, but I've not yet
> been added.   Kind of particularly bad now that I'm a mentor on two podlings,
> but according to that page, my mentor vote wouldn't even be binding.  :-(

noel's been a bit busy recently...

IIRC (and it's been a while) any member can alter the paperwork once
there's been a board ACK. can anyone from boardland confirm or deny
this?

- robert

Re: Keeping IPMC Membership Up To Date [WAS Re: [VOTE] [RESULT] Accept ESME into the Apache Incubator]

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
> Daniel Kulp wrote:
> > David Crossley wrote:
> >>
> >> You asked earlier how to find out who is on Incubator PMC
> >> and hence binding votes:
> >> http://people.apache.org/~jim/projects.html#incubator-pmc
>
> cool  (i didn't realise this existed)

Yes, very useful. The Clutch table links directly to
each project's group from "column J: numberCommitters".

There is also his "committers.html". That is also useful
for people without svn karma to check whether incoming CLAs
are recorded.

-David

Re: Keeping IPMC Membership Up To Date [WAS Re: [VOTE] [RESULT] Accept ESME into the Apache Incubator]

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Craig L Russell wrote:
> Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
> >Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> >>I think that's fine, as long as the appropriate lists are kept up
> >>to date.
> >>
> >>But maybe we should designate some official volunteers ("Incubator
> >>sheperds") to help the PMC chair for such tasks? The Incubator is a
> >>big thing today, having a defined way of sharing the load might help.
> >
> >+1
> >
> >responsiveness can be crucial in maintaining momentum
> >
> >>I'd suggest electing 3-4 volunteers for that.
> >
> >+1

Good idea. However any IPMC member with the karma
should be able to just jump in and do it.

There are a couple of other tasks that have been
splipping through the cracks too:

Creating the wiki report schedule page at the beginning
of each month, and adding new projects to the main
ReportingSchedule page. I will go and do that now.

-David

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
On Dec 3, 2008, at 2:38 AM, Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 10:25 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz
> <bd...@apache.org> wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 10:51 AM, Robert Burrell Donkin
>> <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> ...IIRC (and it's been a while) any member can alter the paperwork
>>> once
>>> there's been a board ACK. can anyone from boardland confirm or deny
>>> this?...
>>
>> I think that's fine, as long as the appropriate lists are kept up
>> to date.
>>
>> But maybe we should designate some official volunteers ("Incubator
>> sheperds") to help the PMC chair for such tasks? The Incubator is a
>> big thing today, having a defined way of sharing the load might help.
>
> +1
>
> responsiveness can be crucial in maintaining momentum
>
>> I'd suggest electing 3-4 volunteers for that.
>
> +1

I've been monitoring this kind of stuff for a while. In many cases,
new folks don't know their own karma.

The *only thing* I won't do is ask the board for an ack for a member.
Have to have something for the PMC chair to do. ;-)

Craig

> - robert

Craig L Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: Keeping IPMC Membership Up To Date [WAS Re: [VOTE] [RESULT] Accept ESME into the Apache Incubator]

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.
On Wed, 2008-12-03 at 11:25 +0100, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 10:51 AM, Robert Burrell Donkin
> <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > ...IIRC (and it's been a while) any member can alter the paperwork once
> > there's been a board ACK. can anyone from boardland confirm or deny
> > this?...
>
> I think that's fine, as long as the appropriate lists are kept up to date.
>
> But maybe we should designate some official volunteers ("Incubator
> sheperds") to help the PMC chair for such tasks? The Incubator is a
> big thing today, having a defined way of sharing the load might help.
>
> I'd suggest electing 3-4 volunteers for that.

I think that sounds like a good idea, and I'd volunteer if needed.

Upayavira

RE: Keeping IPMC Membership Up To Date

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> Robert Burrell Donkin
> > ...IIRC (and it's been a while) any member can alter the paperwork once
> > there's been a board ACK. can anyone from boardland confirm or deny
> > this?...

> maybe we should designate some official volunteers ("Incubator
> sheperds") to help the PMC chair for such tasks?

I have no problem with people reminding me if something falls off the plate.  :-)  In this case, though, I had actually taken care of updating committee-info.txt weeks previously with the two entries that had been missing.

FWIW, the Board has expressed the desire that only the PMC Chair update that particular file.  Ironically, this came up when I updated the JAMES roster because the then PMC Chair had been busy and asked if I would not mind doing it.

The place where having help really helps is with svn, and we long ago established the policy that any Incubator PMC member who has sufficient karma (e.g., is a PMC chair in his or her own right) can do the necessaries.  That's worked out quite well for a long time.

	--- Noel

Re: Keeping IPMC Membership Up To Date [WAS Re: [VOTE] [RESULT] Accept ESME into the Apache Incubator]

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
<ro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> ...IIRC (and it's been a while) any member can alter the paperwork once
> there's been a board ACK. can anyone from boardland confirm or deny
> this?...

I think that's fine, as long as the appropriate lists are kept up to date.

But maybe we should designate some official volunteers ("Incubator
sheperds") to help the PMC chair for such tasks? The Incubator is a
big thing today, having a defined way of sharing the load might help.

I'd suggest electing 3-4 volunteers for that.

-Bertrand

RE: Keeping IPMC Membership Up To Date

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 2:20 AM, Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org> wrote:
> > Except Noel has been very bad lately about updating the committe-info
that is
> > used to generate this list.

As far as I know, that list is up to date, and was up-to-date weeks before
you posted that it wasn't (yes, there were two missing entries, both fixed
in mid-November, and you were one of them).  Since you phrased your comment
in present tense, are you sure that you did an svn update?

	--- Noel