Posted to dev@cxf.apache.org by CXF Explorer <ma...@coreobjects.com> on 2008/10/06 09:42:33 UTC

Potential impact of SpringSource Enterprise Maintenance Policy on CXF

Hi,
I am a newbie for CXF. I started exploring it as a potential framework for
implementing web service based application. I am ok with most of the stuff
with CSX but for its heavy dependency on Spring framework. I am aware about
the availability of bus and NonSpringServlet approach and would like to
explore it further. The forum says that most of the advanced cases will
require spring or doing a lot of low level API programming to get it
configured. That means I cannot keep away with Spring if I want to harness
the real potential of CXF framework :-(.

With the new
http://www.springsource.com/products/enterprise/maintenancepolicy
SpringSource Enterprise Maintenance Policy , it looks like non subscribed
spring developers(I believe there are many of them) are going to have a hard
time identifying a stable spring release, as the spring source will issue
maintenance updates for three months period after a new major version of
Spring is released. My understanding of the policy may not be 100% correct,
but if it is correct, then how CXF is planning repository management for
Spring versions? The question is more serious for an Ant based project as
the dependencies have to be managed manually there.

Will CXF bundle a stable Spring release along with the jar distributions for
CXF framework in the future or will it rely on Maven to resolve the Spring
dependencies for a particular stable release?

Re: Potential impact of SpringSource Enterprise Maintenance Policy on CXF

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
It seems it's not needed anymore.

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 8:13 AM, CXF Explorer
<ma...@coreobjects.com> wrote:

> With a strong reation from opensource community, SpringSource seems to have
> taken a major turnaround. Rod Johnson, in a recent post on SpringSource has
> announced modifications in the Spring enterprise maintenance policy. More on
> this link:
>
> http://blog.springsource.com/2008/10/07/a-question-of-balance-tuning-the-maintenance-policy/
> http://blog.springsource.com/2008/10/07/a-question-of-balance-tuning-the-maintenance-policy/
>
> I wonder why would one need a seprate project like 'freeSpring' now ???
>
> Cheers
>

> dkulp wrote:
>>

>> Looks like a project has already popped up to support spring:
>> http://freespring.org/
>>
>> Dan

Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet
------------------------
Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/
------------------------
Open Source SOA
http://open.iona.com

Re: Potential impact of SpringSource Enterprise Maintenance Policy on CXF

Posted by CXF Explorer <ma...@coreobjects.com>.

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

--
J. Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org

Re: Potential impact of SpringSource Enterprise Maintenance Policy on CXF

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
Hi all,

--

Christian Schneider
---

RE: Potential impact of SpringSource Enterprise Maintenance Policy on CXF

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Monday 06 October 2008, Richard Opalka wrote:
> The license is LGPL

Which isn't useful for us.   We cannot ship LGPL jars.

If we HAD to change, we'd probably have to pull all the container stuff
out into some sort of Abstract notion and then allow Spring/Plexus/Etc..
to be plugged in.   Either that or enhance the non-spring stuff to make
it completely usable without spring.

Dan

--
J. Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org

Re: Potential impact of SpringSource Enterprise Maintenance Policy on CXF

Posted by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com>.
Which makes it unfortunately most useless for Apache--but still, although I'm
sure it's a fine product, we would have the same headaches, with users next
complaining about the dependency on *your* project.  Can't please everyone I
guess...

Glen

Posted by Richard Opalka <ro...@redhat.com>.
The license is LGPL

--
B.Sc. Richard Opalka
Senior Software Engineer

Mobile: +420 731 186 942
Mail: ropalka@redhat.com

Re: Potential impact of SpringSource Enterprise Maintenance Policy on CXF

Posted by Oisin Hurley <oi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Richard Opalka <ro...@redhat.com>.
Hi Glen and CXF Community,

   there's no need to reinvent the wheel. Did you hear about JBoss
Microcontainer?
It's open well tested MC implementation that is loosely coupled with
JBoss AS.
Just for your information JBoss MC 2.0 is going to GA state soon.
See http://www.jboss.org/jbossmc/ for more information.

Richard

Posted by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com>.