Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by sospartan <so...@apache.org> on 2017/04/20 08:10:55 UTC

[VOTE]: Apache Weex-incubating Release 0.12.0-RC2

Hi all,
I'll calling a vote for Weex-incubating 0.12.0-RC2 release.

The PPMC vote for this release has passed:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/d544a60a4038f9d053f7ea1eca0d162b9aef392551a02a0401041e8f@%3Cdev.weex.apache.org%3E

The tag to be voted upon:
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-weex.git
;a=shortlog;h=refs/tags/0.12.0-rc1

The commit hash:
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-weex.git;a=commit;h=
9ac0c82443e65b1c9d8a2714fea6b9a5b8af9907

The source tarball can be found at:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/weex/0.12.0-incubating/RC1/

The fingerprint of key to sign release artifacts:
97B9 6598 A6A3 B63C 53BD  77E9 44C5 2286 22B9 7784

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/weex/KEYS

Release note about this version:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WEEX-26

This vote will remain open for at least 72 hours.
Please vote on releasing this RC.

[ ] +1 approve
[ ] +0 no opinion
[ ] -1 disapprove (and reason why)

--
Best Regards!
------------------------------

sospartan
https://weex-project.io

Re: [VOTE]: Apache Weex-incubating Release 0.12.0-RC2

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
+1 binding

--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

Re: [VOTE]: Apache Weex-incubating Release 0.12.0-RC2

Posted by Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu>.
Saturday, April 22, 2017, 12:41:23 PM, Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> Note on gradle-wrapper.jar,
> For source releases, we expect the project to be buildable by the user. The
> Gradle wrapper is the easiest way to make that happen. It (together with
> the gradlew and gradlew.bat scripts) ensures that that the build will be
> the same, and not suffer from different Gradle versions being used,
> potentially incompatible. Now, you could write a document on how to achieve
> this in other ways, and deal with the fall-out. But just like the
> gradle-wrapper.jar is committed to the source repository, I stand by that
> the gradle-wrapper belongs in the source distro, as a defacto standard for
> projects using Gradle to build. You will find similar 'bundling' of build
> systems in other languages as well, are they also banned? Or it just
> because they are in human-readable format that it is considered ok?

I'm also interested in the answer for this. Committing
gradle-wrapper.jar into the VCN is a quite common practice (and is
also the subject of some "religious" disputes, because some just can't
bear the idea of committing jar-s). We have run into yet another
problem with gradle-wrapper.jar; there's no license information for
it, or at least we couldn't find it. I guess that will be the real
blocker when it comes to including it. (Or perhaps ASF could make an
exception with gradle-wrapper.jar, as it's commonly known what it is
and where it comes from.)

> Note on LICENSE;
> IIUIC, the source distribution doesn't ship any dependencies (except Gradle
> above), and there is only Apache License to be considered.
>
> As for NOTICE, the ASF documentation you point to, basically says that a)
> don't put in anything that is not bundled (i.e. just about nothing in the
> source release), b) no burden on downstream users. HOWEVER, by excluding
> the list of dependencies that will be in the resulting product, we would
> actually increase the burden of downstream users as they would need to
> figure out what licensing requirements will come out of it all, if they
> choose to distribute.
> Therefor, I would argue that documentation is in this case arguing against
> itself in a single sentence, and think that the approach taken by Weex is
> appropriate.

We do have a different NOTICE and LICENSE for the source distribution
and for the binary distribution, plus one more variation that's
included in the jar artifact (which is distributed in itself via the
Maven Central Repository). That's because each form of distributor
carries different files. I'm not saying that's the correct way (I
don't know... but I hope so), but such releases have passed voting
here for 3 times so far.

 Daniel Dekany

Re: [VOTE]: Apache Weex-incubating Release 0.12.0-RC2

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Sun, Apr 23, 2017 at 7:26 PM, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org>
wrote:

> Sure - but there's still issues with it.  And you still need a NOTICE file
> in your source distribution.

True. But it would be a single "from Apache..." note, as we are not
bundling anything else.

> I thought about your points a bit more last night, and conversely I want to
> explain why its actually more of a burdon.  Suppose that for some reason I
> found the contents of this class to be useful and wanted to use it alone in
> my work:
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-weex/blob/master/
> android/commons/src/main/java/com/alibaba/weex/commons/
> SimpleWeexActivity.java
> .
> By having an extremely verbose NOTICE, as a user of this file alone, I have
> to carry all of that along with me.

I think you will get more than one answer if asking 3 lawyers on this,
because if you single out that class file, then the discussion is quickly
whether the "work" is that class file, or all the stuff around it.

Example; say that I use something that was licensed to me under a BSD
license, but is not otherwise published elsewhere, or maybe hard to locate.
I use that work in a larger work which I release under GPL. So, you come
along and find this file and say "hey, exactly what I have been looking
for"... Is that file now GPL, even though the file header may say
otherwise, and no matter whether I intended that? This is analogous of your
case above, but perhaps spelled out a bit more dramatically.

And honestly, hand on heart, how often is picking individual source files
done, compared to the endless number of binary dependencies that are
resolved by the hour? And most business software that I have ended up
working on places those dependencies in the mid-to-high hundreds, even
beyond thousand, where IF built from source, YOU would have to go figure
each one out manually. Can you honestly claim that is less "burden", even
IF all 100 lines of notice needs to percolate downstream ad nauseum, which
in reality is a "cat his/NOTICE her/NOTICE >my/NOITCE"?

I also just noticed that <strike-through>your</strike-through>
> <inserted>the</inserted> files are including the full license text of

the apache license in each file.  We typically use the abbreviated version.

Yeah, I know that. I thought to tackle that with a package name change that
I would also like to see soon.

Cheers

Posted by sospartan <so...@gmail.com>.
john,
I'll take the work and make NOTICE and LICENSE(s) right.
Thanks for this discussion, which will be a good lesson for  our newbies.

The full-licensed file(SimpleWeexActivity.java) is in old branch, we have
fix that in dev. I'll push to master after we have our first RC.

wrote:

> [...]
>

> > Ok?
> >

> I thought about your points a bit more last night, and conversely I want to
> explain why its actually more of a burdon.  Suppose that for some reason I
> found the contents of this class to be useful and wanted to use it alone in
> my work:
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-weex/blob/master/
> android/commons/src/main/java/com/alibaba/weex/commons/
> SimpleWeexActivity.java
> .
> By having an extremely verbose NOTICE, as a user of this file alone, I have
> to carry all of that along with me.
>
> I also just noticed that your files are including the full license text of
> the apache license in each file.  We typically use the abbreviated version.
>

> > On Sun, Apr 23, 2017 at 8:01 AM, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org>
> > wrote:

> johndament@apache.org>

> the
> > > JAR
> > need

> > inside
> > if
> on
> > > >

> > > I must have seen a custom built version of gradlew then.

> > have

> > > that
> > > now,
> > blockchain
> from
> ASF
> paranoia.

> assume
> > > >

> > > I don't disagree with you.  And now may be a good time to bring this
> back
> > > up.  But for now, its not allowable in the release.  See also
> > > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-288

> least
> > > with
> > all
> > > of

> > (except

> > > that
> nothing
> > in
> we
> need
> if
> > > they
> arguing
> > > Weex

> > > release.

> the
> > dependencies
> sorry,
> stop
> > > >

> > > I'm not sure what a valid response to this would be.  I don't believe
> we
> > > should be taking into account ease of use for downstream consumers,
> > however
> > > at the end of the day those downstream consumers of a source release
> > > eventually get a binary and that binary should include proper data.
> > What I
> > > am trying to say is that these contents look more appropriate for the
> > > binary release, which would be a satisfactory use case for downstream

Phone:13588488290
HangZhou

Re: [VOTE]: Apache Weex-incubating Release 0.12.0-RC2

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
John,

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Apr 22, 2017 at 6:41 AM Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> wrote:

> Note on gradle-wrapper.jar,
> For source releases, we expect the project to be buildable by the user. The
> Gradle wrapper is the easiest way to make that happen. It (together with
> the gradlew and gradlew.bat scripts) ensures that that the build will be
> the same, and not suffer from different Gradle versions being used,
> potentially incompatible. Now, you could write a document on how to achieve
> this in other ways, and deal with the fall-out. But just like the
> gradle-wrapper.jar is committed to the source repository, I stand by that
> the gradle-wrapper belongs in the source distro, as a defacto standard for
> projects using Gradle to build. You will find similar 'bundling' of build
> systems in other languages as well, are they also banned? Or it just
> because they are in human-readable format that it is considered ok?

Agreed, and this is mostly my argument as well.  However, in *nix the JAR
will get downloaded automatically if not present.  On windows, you need to
pre-install gradle.

The argument I've seen from present VP Legal is that the JARs may have
viruses in them, or contain other malware.

> Note on LICENSE;
> IIUIC, the source distribution doesn't ship any dependencies (except Gradle
> above), and there is only Apache License to be considered.
>
> As for NOTICE, the ASF documentation you point to, basically says that a)
> don't put in anything that is not bundled (i.e. just about nothing in the
> source release), b) no burden on downstream users. HOWEVER, by excluding
> the list of dependencies that will be in the resulting product, we would
> actually increase the burden of downstream users as they would need to
> figure out what licensing requirements will come out of it all, if they
> choose to distribute.
> Therefor, I would argue that documentation is in this case arguing against
> itself in a single sentence, and think that the approach taken by Weex is
> appropriate.

I disagree.  I think you're thinking of source release vs binary release.
Weex has only presented a source release.  The binary release LICENSE and
NOTICE may be different, due to bundled dependencies.  Transitive
dependencies should never be included in these files.

I suspect that Weex based its release on RocketMQ's recent release.  I'll
point out that in RocketMQ's case the binary distribution includes all of
its transitive dependencies (its a server, not a library) so the binary
NOTICE contents make sense to list out everything.  IN the case of a
library type tool, you wouldn't include things coming in transitively,
they're not part of your packages.  RocketMQ leveraged different source and
binary NOTICE/LICENSE files to account for these nuances.  In Justin's
initial review of their release, some of these items came up on their dev
list.

I suspect that the binary version of Weex falls more in line with RocketMQ
though, where the whole thing gets installed somewhere, in which case what
you're describing is accurate, but only for the binary distribution (which
I suspect most of these NOTICE entries are coming from).

> (all subject to that my understanding of that there is no third-party in
> the source distribution)

This is my understanding as well, since I don't see anything, other than
the gradle wrapper.

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
Note on gradle-wrapper.jar,

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.