Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by Jean-Louis MONTEIRO <je...@gmail.com> on 2012/10/08 17:19:33 UTC

[RESULT] Paw-print logo to become official TomEE logo

Hi guys,

Following what we decided 4 months ago (more than 40 days).
So even if someone else disagree, the paw-print will be used as the
official Apache TomEE logo.

Jean-Louis

Re: [RESULT] Paw-print logo to become official TomEE logo

Posted by Neale Rudd <ne...@metawerx.net>.
+1

Posted by Thiago Veronezi <th...@veronezi.org>.
+1

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
+1

*Romain Manni-Bucau*

Posted by dsh <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Louis MONTEIRO <je...@gmail.com>.

Re: 1.5 Clarification

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
just a quick note: some example uses tomee though the tomee maven plugin or
arquillian ;)

maybe that's not enough explicit...

*Romain Manni-Bucau*

Re: 1.5 Clarification

Posted by Neale Rudd <ne...@metawerx.net>.
One other great doc I'd like to see - maybe you have it already?

Differences between Tomcat and TomEE if you're used to Tomcat.

One big gotcha when I first started using TomEE was that you had turned off
the JSP-recompilation feature which is default in Tomcat.  So my JSP test
files weren't being recompiled and I needed to restart the JVM each time.  I
had to find the setting myself because it wasn't so clear.

So maybe a list of important changes like that would be helpful.

Even better - major difference docs for each major container.  eg: if I am
used to GlassFish or JBoss, what do I need to change for TomEE.

This would be the ideal place to document the JSF/JPA stuff we discussed
earlier (if it's still relevant).  If the problem is a large or fundamental
one like the JSF one was, maybe just documenting it for people who are used
to other containers would save a lot of headaches for first-time-users.

Maybe the wiki would be the best format for this sort of stuff?
https://cwiki.apache.org/TOMEE/index.html

Best Regards,
Neale

Re: 1.5 Clarification

Posted by Jean-Louis MONTEIRO <je...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Sorry for the delay, just took some time to update the page. Lemme know if
that's clearer.
You are also free to edit it (top right button) so that we'll receive your
patch to integrate.

Jean-Louis

Re: 1.5 Clarification

Posted by Neale Rudd <ne...@metawerx.net>.
This is good actually:

Re: 1.5 Clarification

Posted by Neale Rudd <ne...@metawerx.net>.
Hi David,

> [...]

from anyone reading.  Here are the bits if someone wants to improve things:

 - http://tomee.apache.org/tomee-and-eclipse.html
 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr8pxEACVRI

> - easy to navigate release notes (easy to see what's changed, in 2
> minutes, without browsing dev@ or long jiras)

Any ideas on how to make this easier to navigate?

 - http://tomee.apache.org/tomee-1.5.0-release-notes.html

> - upgrade notes (per revision + per major revision) - very important if
> used in a production system, I review these personally for every Tomcat
> subrelease and make changes to our templates as necessary
We definitely don't have anything there.  Wondering how we could
realistically capture that information.  Getting something in place and
getting people to use it are always difficult initiatives.

> - frequent releases (and TomEE should keep-up, like MariaDB does with

Completely agreed.

Re: 1.5 Clarification

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: 1.5 Clarification

Posted by Neale Rudd <ne...@metawerx.net>.
A few more comments:

A simpler change log would be great.  The download page has links to Jira.
Some Jira items have no information (they just have a title and say Fixed)
or others have a history which is hard to navigate.

Suggest following Tomcat-style change-log.  One file which has all 1.x.x
release notes with a one-liner describing the change/feature and a link to
Jira if people want to investigate.

There's a number of reasons Tomcat is the world's most popular container.
IMO here's a few professional reasons that I really love Tomcat.  If TomEE
addressed these, it would make TomEE more awesome and much easier for
users/companies to adopt:

[...]

Hope that helps!

Best Regards,
Neale

Re: 1.5 Clarification

Re: 1.5 Clarification

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: 1.5 Clarification

Posted by Jean-Louis MONTEIRO <je...@gmail.com>.
Yes, 1.5.0 as been officially released and is available on Apache Mirrors
as well as on Central Repo.
Regarding tomee.apache.org or openejb.apache.org, there were the same as
far as I know, but i's not if I understand :D

tomee.apache.org was supposed to be just a new domain name pointing to
openejb.apache.org

Maybe David can give u more insights.

JLouis

1.5 Clarification

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
+1 use the paw then add on the site "challenge our logo"

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.
On Oct 8, 2012, at 11:27 AM, Neale Rudd wrote:

> I'll put them on a URL within the next hour if you can send it quickly, otherwise tomorrow.   Someone else can count the votes over the next 72 hours.
>
> If there is a too-close vote, maybe it's better to run a competition, or if it's unanimous for the paw-print, maybe just go with it?

Don't think we need a vote.  We can both use the paw-print and have a logo contest.

We never really pushed a logo contest off the list.  We're getting about 10k visits a week on the website.  We only have 126 people on the mailing list.

With an actual logo contest featured on the website I *guarantee* we will get entries.

Posted by Neale Rudd <ne...@metawerx.net>.
Hi Guys,

Can someone send me the paw-print logo?
And all other submitted logos?

I'll put them on a URL within the next hour if you can send it quickly,
otherwise tomorrow.   Someone else can count the votes over the next 72
hours.

If there is a too-close vote, maybe it's better to run a competition, or if
it's unanimous for the paw-print, maybe just go with it?

I personally love the paw-print and want to post it on the metawerx site to
promote TomEE (with your permission of course! ;-)

Best Regards,
Neale

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
We waited 4 months...no need of vote IMO

David if you dont like the logo please propose sthg

Posted by Jean-Louis MONTEIRO <je...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.