Posted to j-users@xerces.apache.org by Allen Brookes <ab...@roguewave.com> on 2004/09/09 23:13:53 UTC

Whitespace in schema documents

Hi,

I'm using the xerces xs package to parse a schema.  If I have any whitespace
before the prolog xs fails to parse the document.  Whitespace anywhere else
doesn't seem to cause any problems.  Shouldn't whitespace be allowed before
the prolog?

Thanks,
Allen

Re: Whitespace in schema documents

Posted by Steven Ihde <si...@cs.stanford.edu>.
On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 02:13:53PM -0700, Allen Brookes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using the xerces xs package to parse a schema.  If I have any whitespace
> before the prolog xs fails to parse the document.  Whitespace anywhere else
> doesn't seem to cause any problems.  Shouldn't whitespace be allowed before
> the prolog?

No.  Some older parsers allowed this but it is not permitted according
to the spec.  Here is the production for "document" from the spec:

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#NT-document

If you chase the links down, there is no white space allowed before
'<?xml'.

The spec also says in section 2.1:

    2.1 Well-Formed XML Documents

    [Definition: A textual object is a well-formed XML document if:]

       1. Taken as a whole, it matches the production labeled document.

This seems to make it clear that ignoring leading whitespace is not
permissible.

Everywhere whitespace can appear in a document, it is explicitly
allowed by the grammar, represented by the production named "S":

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#NT-S

-Steve

--
Steven C. Ihde <si...@cs.stanford.edu>