Posted to c-dev@lucene.apache.org by yueyu lin <po...@gmail.com> on 2006/02/24 10:28:08 UTC

Does the project really use C?

Hi,
  I'm a Lucene for java's user. Now I'm exciting to see the Lucene4C. As I
know before, there's another project named CLucene. That project is using
CPP that I'm not good at it. Lucene4c is another good choice for me. But
when I review the current svn, I found there were most of .cxx,.hxx files.
Although in these files, I found the main part is implemented in "extern
"C"" part. But I see "using ...". Does ansi C have name space concept now?
I'm afraid that project will try to be compatiable for both C and C++
because many features will be implemented like cpp that will be strange from
my view point.
  I don't think C grammar is not a burden to build a high quality project,
do you think so?
  And the last question is if the project is active. I've seen that project
since last year but now it's almost the same like the one last year. What
kind of help do you need? Maybe I can have some shots on it.

Yueyu Lin

Re: Does the project really use C?

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On 2/24/06, yueyu lin <po...@gmail.com> wrote:

>   And the last question is if the project is active. I've seen that project
> since last year but now it's almost the same like the one last year. What
> kind of help do you need? Maybe I can have some shots on it.

Unfortunately, nobody has had time to work on Lucene4c in quite some
time.  The last time there was any activity the plan was to move from
a full C implementation to a wrapper around a GCJ compiled version of
Java Lucene.  This was basically working, but it wasn't overly
reliable, with most of the problems coming from either difficulty
getting it to build or difficulty integrating compiled Java code with
C code via GCJ's CNI.

If you're interested in helping, all the code is available in
Subversion at http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incuabtor/lucene4c/trunk,
or if you want the older version that was pure C there's a tag at
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/lucene4c/tags/pre-gcj-conversion/

-garrett