Posted to users@jena.apache.org by Eric Scott <er...@att.net> on 2011/10/24 18:30:19 UTC

Error tdb-loading a third-party rdf file

I'm loading an xml/rdf file provided by a third party using tdbloader2,
and it throws this error:
--
Base URI is null, but there are relative URIs to resolve.: <>
--

In the hope of providing a meaningful value for this, I'd like to be
able to see just what statement contained the relative URI that

Failing that, does it even matter what value I use to provide the base
URI? If not, I guess I can just stick in any old thing.

Thanks,

Re: Error tdb-loading a third-party rdf file

Posted by Dave Reynolds <da...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, 2011-10-24 at 09:30 -0700, Eric Scott wrote:
> I'm loading an xml/rdf file provided by a third party using tdbloader2,
> and it throws this error:
> --
> Base URI is null, but there are relative URIs to resolve.: <>
> --
> The header of the rdf file does not have in fact have an xml:base
> clause, so I guess I'd need to edit the original RDF source to provide one?

Yes (in code you can set a base URI in the read call).

> In the hope of providing a meaningful value for this, I'd like to be
> able to see just what statement contained the relative URI that
> triggered this error, but tdbloader doesn't seem to be providing line
> numbers.  Searching for <> turns up nothing.  Is there a utility I can
> use that will give me this information?

Can't think of one. The chances are it is a line containing

    rdf:about=""   or rdf:about=''

so a judicious regexp search might turn it up.

> Failing that, does it even matter what value I use to provide the base
> URI? If not, I guess I can just stick in any old thing.

Depends on the data and what you are going to do with it.

The most common use of "" as a URI is to deliberately refer to the
document, eg in an owl:Ontology. In that case the URI should really be
the URL you got the data from. However, if you regard your copy as a
different document then give it any base you like.

Dave