Posted to dev@poi.apache.org by Nick Burch <ni...@torchbox.com> on 2005/11/10 18:02:26 UTC

Re: HSLF development

On Mon, 7 Nov 2005, Yegor Kozlov wrote:
> How are things with POI/HSLF development?

Not nearly as fast as I'd like! I was hoping to have more done by now, but
I've been too busy. At least Christmas is approaching, I'll have lots of
spare time then :)

> Do you continue to work on POI now? I would like to coordinate my
> activity with you.

Yes, I've committed most of the work I've done so far on rich text
support. It doesn't quite all work though - I've got a few failing tests,
and a few more bits to write. Most of the architecture should be there
though.

One of your ideas IIRC was a html like string -> rich text parser. I think
a good place for that currently would be model.TextRun, with it updating
the attached RichTextRuns. Might want to hold off on that a bit longer
though, as I might need to do a few tweaks to the relationship between
TextRun and RichTextRuns which should make it easier to write.

A related thing would be to put friendly methods into RichTextRun for
things like setBold, setItalic etc, which hid the pesky details of
interacting with StyleTextPropAtoms. I guess your parser would be better
off using those than interacting straight with the StyleTextPropAtoms, so
that might be a useful bit of code to write now.

Otherwise, did you mention you had some drawing stuff working? That would
be a good one to add in. I've made a few tweaks to the record container
code to make it easier for a record to affect those around it
(eg the ParentAwareRecord interface, and RecordContainer.addChildAfter()).
Is that sufficient infrastructure for you to work with, or do we need to
add some more stuff?

Cheers
Nick