Posted to user@hama.apache.org by Leonidas Fegaras <fe...@cse.uta.edu> on 2012/08/23 21:41:47 UTC

[ANNOUNCEMENT] A query system for BSP processing

Dear Hama users,
I am pleased to announce that the MRQL query processing system can now
evaluate SQL-like queries on a Hama cluster. MRQL is available at:

http://lambda.uta.edu/mrql/

MRQL (the Map-Reduce Query Language) is an SQL-like query language for
large-scale, distributed data analysis. MRQL is powerful enough to
express most common data analysis tasks over many different kinds of
raw data, including hierarchical data and nested collections, such as
XML data. MRQL can run in two modes: in MR (Map-Reduce) mode using
Apache Hadoop and in BSP (Bulk Synchronous Parallel) mode using Apache
Hama. Both modes use Apache's HDFS to read and write their data.

Note that, the BSP mode is currently experimental (not fine-tuned yet)
and lacks any fault-tolerance (if an error occurs, the entire job must
be restarted). Due to our limited resources, MRQL has only been tested
on a small cluster (7-nodes/28-cores). We compared the BSP mode with
the MR mode by evaluating a pagerank query over a small graph (100K
nodes, 1M edges) and found that BSP mode is about 4.5 times faster
than the MR mode. Please let me know if you'd like to contribute to
this project by testing MRQL on a larger cluster.
Best regards,
Leonidas Fegaras
University of Texas at Arlington

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] A query system for BSP processing

Posted by Thomas Jungblut <th...@gmail.com>.
Let's feature this project on our site and in our wiki.

Posted by Leonidas Fegaras <fe...@cse.uta.edu>.
I don't have any plans for supporting such queries, but I would like to
try new applications.
Leonidas

Posted by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@apache.org>.

--
Best Regards, Edward J. Yoon
@eddieyoon

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] A query system for BSP processing

Posted by Leonidas Fegaras <fe...@cse.uta.edu>.

Posted by Thomas Jungblut <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Suraj Menon <su...@apache.org>.

Posted by Thomas Jungblut <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Leonidas Fegaras <fe...@cse.uta.edu>.

Posted by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@apache.org>.

--
Best Regards, Edward J. Yoon
@eddieyoon

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] A query system for BSP processing

Posted by Leonidas Fegaras <fe...@cse.uta.edu>.

Posted by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@apache.org>.
Shall we work together?

--
Best Regards, Edward J. Yoon
@eddieyoon

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] A query system for BSP processing

Posted by Leonidas Fegaras <fe...@cse.uta.edu>.
Thank you very much for your interest and for testing my system.
It seems that my release was premature: It worked for some random data
but didn't for some others. It's a minor logical error that I will try
to fix in the next few days. The problem is with the stopping condition
of the repeat expression that calculates the new pagerank from the old.
It must stop if ALL peers reach  the specified precision. This is done
by having those peers that need to continue send a message to others to
continue. It seems that now when all peers agree at the same time, the
program works fine. But if one finishes sooner, instead of continuing
the repeat loop, it runs away to the next BSP step that follows the

Posted by Thomas Jungblut <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Thomas Jungblut <th...@gmail.com>.
Hi Leonidas!

Posted by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@apache.org>.

--
Best Regards, Edward J. Yoon
@eddieyoon

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] A query system for BSP processing

Posted by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@apache.org>.