Posted to j-users@xerces.apache.org by Kevin Vogt <kv...@paradata.com> on 2001/11/02 23:37:40 UTC

Xerces and Crimson compatibilities

I'm comparing Crimson, Xerces 1.4.3 and Xerces 2.0.0 beta 3.

I've searched...
* the Crimson, Xerces1 and Xerces2 FAQs
* Sun's JAXP site
* xerces-j-dev
* xerces-j-user
* xerces-p-dev
* xml-apache-announce
* xml-apache-general
* comp.text.xml group archive on Google

Here's what I've come up with so far:

+----------------+------------+-----------------+-----------------+
|                | Crimson1.1 | Xerces 1.4.3    | Xerces 2.0.0 b3 |
+----------------+------------+-----------------+-----------------+
| Java API       |1.1.8 to run|Apparently 1.1.8 | 1.2 to build    |
|                |1.2 to build|or higher. Buggy |                 |
|                | certain    | detection of    |                 |
|                |pieces of it|invalid Decimals |                 |
|                |            | with 1.3.1      |                 |
+----------------+------------+-----------------+-----------------+
| XML            | 1.0 2nd ed | 1.0 (edition?)  | 1.0 2nd ed.     |
| recommendation |            |                 |                 |
+----------------+------------+-----------------+-----------------+
| JAXP           | 1.1 minus  | 1.1             | 1.1             |
|                | the trans- |                 |                 |
|                |form package|                 |                 |
+----------------+------------+-----------------+-----------------+
| SAX            | 2.0        | 2.0 & 1.0       | 2.o core & ext. |
+----------------+------------+-----------------+-----------------+
| SAX2           | 1.0        |yes (unknown ver)|yes (unknown ver)|
| extensions     |            |                 |                 |
+----------------+------------+-----------------+-----------------+
| DOM            |level 2 core| level 2 core,   | level 2 core,   |
|                |            |events, traversal|events, traversal|
|                |            | & range         | & range         |
+----------------+------------+-----------------+-----------------+

I am most interested in the compatibility of these three products with the
Java API. As the table shows, I do not know the lowest version(s) of the
Java API that can use Xerces 1.4.3 or Xerces 2.0.0. Does anybody out there
know where that is documented, or what the answer is?

Kevin

Re: Xerces and Crimson compatibilities

Posted by Jean-Claude Dufourd <Je...@enst.fr>.
Kevin Vogt wrote:
> I am most interested in the compatibility of these three products
> with the
> Java API. As the table shows, I do not know the lowest version(s) of
> the
> Java API that can use Xerces 1.4.3 or Xerces 2.0.0. Does anybody out
> there
> know where that is documented, or what the answer is?

I do not know about doc, but I am using Xerces 1.4.3 with Microsoft
Java, which means Java 1.1. That is also true of all previous versions
but 1.4.0 (slight build error).
JC