Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Saurabh Agrawal <sa...@criticalpath.net> on 2010/07/19 18:57:11 UTC

Cannot configure apache-log4j-extras-1.0 with apache-log4j-1 for time based log rotation

Hi Friends,

Tomcat version: apache-tomcat-5.5.27

Operating System: SunOS 10.0 / Linux

Problem:

I've tried many times to configure apache-log4j-extras-1.0 with
apache-log4j-1.2.16, but it is still failing to load classes from configure
apache-log4j-extras-1.0 JAR file.

What I want to do: Actually I want to do time based log rotation the my
application specific log files. I could able to configure using
'net.cp.ps.sdk.util.log.DailyRollingFileAppender' class, but few problems
are reported on Apache site for this class.

Solution I can think of: So, I have to look for another option for
'net.cp.ps.sdk.util.log.DailyRollingFileAppender' class, and I found
'org.apache.log4j.rolling.RollingFileAppender' class and can use
'org.apache.log4j.rolling.TimeBasedRollingPolicy' in that.

Steps I performed so far:

1. Downloaded apache-log4j-extras-1.0 with apache-log4j-1.2.16 JAR files
from web.

2. Renamed apache-log4j-1.2.16.jar to simple 'log4j.jar'.

3. Copied apache-log4j-extras-1.0.jar in ~/WEB-INF/lib directory, where my
old log4j is present.

4. Extracted new log4j.jar (1.2.16).

5. Edited the pom.xml file from new 'log4j.jar' to include
'apache-log4j-extras-1.0'. Steps are described here: (
<https://wiki.jasig.org/display/UPM30/log4j.xml>
https://wiki.jasig.org/display/UPM30/log4j.xml).

6. Created jar file again, after editing pom.xml.

7. Then I added following configuration block, in my application specific
log-conf.xml (present in ~/WEB-INF/etc/):

<!-- Presentation Server Access log appender -->

<appender name="access-log"
class="org.apache.log4j.rolling.RollingFileAppender">

      <File>WEB-INF/log-files/access.log</File>

      <rollingPolicy
class="org.apache.log4j.rolling.TimeBasedRollingPolicy">

<FileNamePattern>WEB-INF/log-files/access.log.%d{yyyy-MM-dd}.log</FileNamePa
ttern> </rollingPolicy>

      <param name="ConversionPattern" value="%d{dd.MM.yyyy HH:mm:ss,SSS}
[%t] %c %x%n %-5p - %m%n"/> </layout>

</appender> but, still I am getting following exception:

7202 [main] WARN net.cp.ps.sdk.server.ServerConfig - thread[main] Unable to
parse invite request mappings: [The XPath='invite-requests/invite-mapping'
does not exist]

7214 [main] WARN net.cp.ps.sdk.server.ServerConfig - thread[main] Unable to
parse known profiles request mappings: [The
XPath='known-profiles-requests/known-profiles-mapping' does not exist]

8114 [main] ERROR net.cp.ps.sdk.server.ServerConfig - thread[main] Missing
configuration: couldn't find value for /ps-conf/regex-whitespace-keyword

log4j:ERROR Could not create an Appender. Reported error follows.

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
org.apache.log4j.rolling.RollingFileAppender

at
org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.jav
a:1386)

at
org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.jav
a:1232)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:319) at
java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)

at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:164) at
org.apache.log4j.helpers.Loader.loadClass(Loader.java:160)

Can someone please help me with this, what's going wrong and what I am
missing here?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Saurabh Agrawal

RE: Cannot configure apache-log4j-extras-1.0 with apache-log4j-1 for time based log rotation

Posted by Saurabh Agrawal <sa...@criticalpath.net>.
Hi Jake.

Thanks for all your help. It's working now.

Saurabh
Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.

http://logging.apache.org/log4j/companions/extras/apidocs/org/apache/log4j/rolling/RollingFileAppender.html

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
My guess is that you have classloading issues.  What server are you using?
I'll bet it is not configured to use child-first (a.k.a parent-last)
classloading and that the server has a copy of log4j.jar in the server
classpath.

In this situation, the log4j.jar in the server classpath would take precedence
to any log4j.jar you included in WEB-INF/lib and be unable to find the
rolling.RollingFileAppender located in the extras jar stored in WEB-INF/lib.

You can resolve this either by placing the extras jar in the server classpath
alongside the log4j.jar already there or configure your application to use
child-first classloading.