Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org> on 2010/03/22 06:49:52 UTC

Question on tlps using incubator releases

Are there any issues with Apache tlps using incubator releases? I've
heard, but cannot find any official documentation, that tlps should not.
Is this really the case? Are there any rules/guidelines for this?

Thanks,

Patrick

Re: Question on tlps using incubator releases

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Mar 23, 2010, at 7:16 PM, Doug Cutting wrote:

> Patrick Hunt wrote:
>> Are there any issues with Apache tlps using incubator releases? I've heard, but cannot find any official documentation, that tlps should not. Is this really the case? Are there any rules/guidelines for this?
>
> I don't think this is a problem.  One project can even release otherwise unreleased code from another project, but, in doing so, it takes on the onus of ensuring that the code was obtained legally, is licensed correctly, etc.  Incubator releases are approved by the Incubator PMC, and have had as much (or more) legal review as releases by other TLPs.

Agreed. I know we had Geronimo releases with OpenEJB and ActiveMQ out of incubator. We did carry the Incubator Disclaimer forward. However, I don't think this was really necessary...

--kevan

Re: Question on tlps using incubator releases

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
Patrick Hunt wrote:
> Are there any issues with Apache tlps using incubator releases? I've
> heard, but cannot find any official documentation, that tlps should not.
> Is this really the case? Are there any rules/guidelines for this?

I don't think this is a problem.  One project can even release otherwise
unreleased code from another project, but, in doing so, it takes on the
onus of ensuring that the code was obtained legally, is licensed
correctly, etc.  Incubator releases are approved by the Incubator PMC,
and have had as much (or more) legal review as releases by other TLPs.

Doug

Re: Question on tlps using incubator releases

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.
Doug/Kevan, thanks for the information, appreciated. Have you considered
adding this to the incubator FAQ? Perhaps it's there somewhere, but I
couldn't find any detail on this one way or the other.

Regards,

Patrick