Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Stas Oskin <st...@gmail.com> on 2008/09/23 21:50:44 UTC

Hadoop for real time

Hi.

Is it possible to use Hadoop for real-time app, in video processing field?

Regards.

Re: Hadoop for real time

Posted by Stas Oskin <st...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ted.

Thanks for sharing some of inner workings of Veoh, which btw I'm a frequent
user of (or at least when time permits :) ).

I indeed recall reading somewhere that Veoh used a heavily modified version
of MogileFS, but have switched since as it wasn't ready enough for Veoh
needs.

If not Hadoop, are there any other available solutions that can assist in
distributing the processing of real-time video data? Or the old way of
separate application severs is the only way to go?

Regards.

Re: Hadoop for real time

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Hadoop may not be quite what you want for this.

You could definitely use Hadopo for storage and streaming.  You can also do
various kinds of processing on hadoop.

But because Hadoop is primarily intended for batch style operations, there
is a bit of an assumption that some administrative tasks will take down the
cluster.  That may be a problem (video serving tends to have a web audience
that isn't very tolerant of downtime).

At Veoh, we used a simpler, but simpler system for serving videos that was
originally based on Mogile.  The basic idea is that there is a database that
contains name to URL mappings.  The URL's point to storage boxes that have a

--
ted

Re: Are There Books of Hadoop/Pig?

Posted by "Amit k. Saha" <am...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 4:10 AM, Steve Gao <st...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Does anybody know if there are books about hadoop or pig? The wiki and manual are kind of ad-hoc and hard to comprehend, for example "I want to know how to apply patchs to my Hadoop, but can't find how to do it" that kind of things.
>
> Would anybody help? Thanks.

http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596521998/

HTH,
Amit

--
Amit Kumar Saha
http://blogs.sun.com/amitsaha/

Re: Need reboot the whole system if adding new datanodes?

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
Amit k. Saha wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 9:09 AM, David Wei <we...@kingsoft.com> wrote:
>> It seems that we need to restart the whole hadoop system in order to add new
>> nodes inside the cluster. Any solution for us that no need for the
>> rebooting?
>
> From what I know so far, you have to start the HDFS dameon (which
> reads the 'slaves' file) to 'let it know' which are the data nodes. So
> everytime you add a new DataNode, I believe you will have to restarted
> the daemon, which is like re-initiating the NameNode.

You don't need a slaves file; you can connect to a namenode without it.
So: no need to restart daemons. What you should do is decommission
datanodes, to shut them down cleanly and make sure all data is copied
off them, when taking them away deliberately. If you just kill it, the
namenode will notice, but some data may be underreplicated.

-steve

Re: Need reboot the whole system if adding new datanodes?

Posted by Paul <pa...@gmail.com>.
As long as the new node is in the slaves file on the master, just do a
start-all.sh and it will attempt to start everything.  Nodes that are
already running will keep running and new nodes will be started.

Consider doing a rebalance after adding a new node for better
distribution.

-paul

Posted by Prasad Pingali <pv...@research.iiit.ac.in>.
you can use the hadoop-daemon.sh script provided in bin folder. The following
will be the steps.

In the new machine to be added,
1.) ensure hadoop config is pointing to the right namenode.
2.) run bin/hadoop-daemon.sh start datanode

this should add datanode without needing a restart of complete cluster.

- Prasad.

Posted by "Amit k. Saha" <am...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Wei <we...@kingsoft.com>.
It seems that we need to restart the whole hadoop system in order to add
new nodes inside the cluster. Any solution for us that no need for the
rebooting?

PS: We just had one namenode in the cluster

Thx!

David

Need reboot the whole system if adding new datanodes?

Posted by Steve Gao <st...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Steve Gao <st...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Hadoop for real time

Posted by Stas Oskin <st...@gmail.com>.