Posted to dev@slider.apache.org by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com> on 2015/01/11 20:13:55 UTC

status of 0.61 release

I've been trying to do this this weekend, but it's not come together yet

   1. There's a new branch, branches/branch-0.6, with the work on it.
   Please don't make any changes to it right now, as its liable to be rolled
   back when needed.
   2. the develop branch is now on 0.70.0-SNAPSHOT
   3. I've cherry picked to branch-0.6 all the SLIDER-655/SLIDER-671
   patches that added an automated release process, and moved the app-package
   sub modules into their own project hooked up to the slider version.
   4. None of the dependencies of the 0.60 release have been changed,
   except that now it is fixed to hadoop 2.6, instead of 2.6.0-SNAPSHOT with a
   special -Prelease-2.6 for the hadoop 2.6 release binaries.
   5. None of the source code has changed between the 0.60 and
   branch-0.6/HEAD; as long as the build process is consistently producing the
   same tar files as before, all should be well. (I am building on Java7, BTW)
   6. I've gone through the normal release process and been able to get
   that all the way out the door. I'm not going to open that for a vote
   though, as we want to switch to binary releases, which means going through
   maven's automated process first. It's doing a lot of the generation and
   signing of files, including making decisions about how to rename versions
   as it goes through the process.
   7. publishing a snapshot of everything is working happily; everything is
   up at

   https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots/org/apache/slider/slider-assembly/0.61.0-SNAPSHOT/
   8. I'm blocked right now on publishing to the staging repo. I think
   that's at the far end and have opened a JIRA on it:

I've never actually done an mvn-automated release before so the error
messages and process are all new to me.

If the blocker really is on infra-side, then when they get to it it should
be fixed...I'll chase them up monday morning UK time.

-steve

ps, yes, I am taking notes, we  will have to rework the release process
docs. Hopefully, with the automation, it will be shorter, though there will
now be a section on "getting your machine and the infra set up"

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE