Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by "Goetz, Anthony" <An...@comcast.com> on 2019/05/30 13:16:37 UTC

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Sstableloader

It appears you have two goals you are trying to accomplish at the same time.  My recommendation is to break it into two different steps.  You need to decide if you are going to upgrade DSE or OSS.

  *   Upgrade DSE then migrate to OSS
     *   Upgrade DSE to version that matches OSS 3.11.3 binary
     *   Perform datacenter switch
  *   Migrate to OSS then upgrade
     *   Migrate to OSS using version that matches DSE Cassandra binary (DSE 5.0.7 = 3.0.11)
     *   Upgrade OSS to 3.11.3 binary

From: Rahul Reddy <ra...@gmail.com>
Date: Thursday, May 30, 2019 at 6:37 AM
To: Cassandra User List <us...@cassandra.apache.org>
Cc: Anthony Goetz <An...@Cable.Comcast.com>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: Sstableloader

Thank you Anthony and Jonathan. To add new ring it doesn't have to be same version of Cassandra right. For ex dse 5.12 which is 3.11.0 has stables with mc name and apache 3.11.3 also uses sstables name with mc . We should be still able to add it to the ring correct

On Wed, May 29, 2019, 9:55 PM Goetz, Anthony <An...@comcast.com>> wrote:
My team migrated from DSE to OSS a few years ago by doing datacenter switch.  You will need to update replication strategy for all keyspaces that are using Everywhere to NetworkTopologyStrategy before adding any OSS nodes.  As Jonathan mentioned, DSE nodes will revert this change on restart.  To account for this, we modified our init script to call a cql script that would make sure the keyspaces were set back to NetworkTopologyStrategy.

High Level Plan:

  *   Find DSE Cassandra binary version
  *   Review config to make sure you are not using any DSE specific settings
  *   Update replication strategy on keyspaces using Everywhere to NetworkTopologyStrategy
  *   Add OSS DC using same binary version as DSE
  *   Migrate clients to new OSS DC
  *   Decommission DSE DC

Note:  OpsCenter will stop working once you add OSS nodes.

From: Jonathan Koppenhofer <jo...@koppedomain.com>>
Date: Wednesday, May 29, 2019 at 6:45 PM
To: Cassandra User List <us...@cassandra.apache.org>>

Has anyone tried to do a DC switch as a means to migrate from Datastax to OSS? This would be the safest route as the ability to revert back to Datastax is easy. However, I'm curious how the dse_system keyspace would be replicated to OSS using their custom Everywhere strategy. You may have to change the to Network topology strategy before firing up OSS nodes. Also, keep in mind if you restart any DSE nodes, it will revert that keyspace back to EverywhereStrategy.

I also posted a means to migrate in place on this mailing list a few months back (thanks for help from others on the mailing list), but it is a little more involved and risky. Let me know if you can't find it, and I'll dig it up.

Finally, DSE 5.0 is open source equivalent 3.0.x. recommend you go to OSS 3.0 then up to 3.11.
On Wed, May 29, 2019, 5:56 PM Nitan Kainth <ni...@gmail.com>> wrote:
If cassandra version is same, it should work

Regards,
Nitan
Cell: 510 449 9629<tel:510%20449%209629>

On May 28, 2019, at 4:21 PM, Rahul Reddy <ra...@gmail.com>> wrote:
Hello,

Does sstableloader works between datastax and Apache cassandra. I'm trying to migrate dse 5.0.7 to Apache 3.11.1 ?