Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Yaniv Ofer <Of...@comverse.com> on 2007/02/13 12:00:45 UTC

[users@httpd] Disable TRACE HTTP method on Apache 1.3.33

Hello

Our application is running over Apache 1.3.33.

As a result of a failed security test, we have been asked to disable the
TRACE HTTP method on our Apache Server.

Could you please refer me to a configuration/patch/fix that would
disable the TRACE HTTP method for Apache 1.3.33 Server?

Our Server should refuse the following HTTP TRACE request:
TRACE /inbox?Uid=379%2D100 HTTP/1.1
Host: 172.17.129.61:50084

Our current server replies with 200 OK for that request.

Thanks
 Ofer

RE: [users@httpd] Disable TRACE HTTP method on Apache 1.3.33

Posted by Chirouze Olivier <ol...@volvo.com>.
Hi,

I think you should manage to do this by using RewriteCond directive and
REQUEST_METHOD environment variable
(http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_rewrite.html#rewritecond). You
should be able to build a test that says "if http method is TRACE,
then... Then forbid"
Next line should then be a RewriteRule that makes the request forbidden.

It *should* look like that (I haven't tested):

RewriteCond  %{REQUEST_METHOD}  ^TRACE$
RewriteRule  .*                 [F]

Hope that'll help (please tell us).

Olivier

Olivier CHIROUZE
I&0 Infrastructure
Volvo Information Technology

________________________________

Posted by Pid <p...@pidster.com>.
Steve Swift wrote:
> Try this, then:
>
> # Suppress the TRACE and TRACK methods to avoid cross-site scripting
> vulnerability
> <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
> RewriteEngine on
> RewriteCond %{REQUEST_METHOD} ^(TRACE|TRACK)
> RewriteRule .* - [F]
> </IfModule>
>
> On 13/02/07, *Yaniv Ofer* <Ofer.Yaniv@comverse.com
> <ma...@comverse.com>> wrote:
>

>     Hi p
>
>     It says here that the TRACE method cannot be limited.

my bad, apologies.
Steve is right above.

Posted by Yaniv Ofer <Of...@comverse.com>.
Hi Steve

I still get HTTP 200 OK for a TRACE HTTP request.

Attached is my httpd.conf.
I already have "rewriteengine on" at my conf file with other rewrite
conditions/rules ( not related to TRACE ).

Does the rewrite module configuration at the attached file OK?

-Ofer

TRACE /inbox?Uid=379%2D100 HTTP/1.1
Host: 172.17.129.61:50084

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 11:51:02 GMT
Server: Apache
Transfer-Encoding: chunked

42

0

________________________________

	> Our application is running over Apache 1.3.33.
	>
	> As a result of a failed security test, we have been asked to
disable
	> the TRACE HTTP method on our Apache Server.
	>
	> Could you please refer me to a configuration/patch/fix that
would
	> disable the TRACE HTTP method for Apache 1.3.33 Server?
	>
	> Our Server should refuse the following HTTP TRACE request:

	> TRACE /inbox?Uid=379%2D100 HTTP/1.1
	>
	> Host: 172.17.129.61:50084

	> Our current server replies with 200 OK for that request.
	>
	> Thanks
	>
	>  Ofer

Steve Swift
http://www.swiftys.org.uk

Re: [users@httpd] Disable TRACE HTTP method on Apache 1.3.33

Posted by Steve Swift <st...@gmail.com>.
Try this, then:

# Suppress the TRACE and TRACK methods to avoid cross-site scripting
vulnerability
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_METHOD} ^(TRACE|TRACK)
RewriteRule .* - [F]
</IfModule>

On 13/02/07, Yaniv Ofer <Of...@comverse.com> wrote:

> Hi p
>
> It says here that the TRACE method cannot be limited.
>
> -Ofer
>
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/mod/core.html#limit
> <Limit> directive
> Syntax: <Limit method [method] ... > ... </Limit>
> Context: any
> Access controls are normally effective for all access methods, and this
> is the usual desired behavior. In the general case, access control
> directives should not be placed within a <limit> section.
>
> The purpose of the <Limit> directive is to restrict the effect of the
> access controls to the nominated HTTP methods. For all other methods,
> the access restrictions that are enclosed in the <Limit> bracket will
> have no effect. The following example applies the access control only to
> the methods POST, PUT, and DELETE, leaving all other methods
> unprotected:
>
> <Limit POST PUT DELETE>
> Require valid-user
> </Limit>
> The method names listed can be one or more of: GET, POST, PUT, DELETE,
> CONNECT, OPTIONS, PATCH, PROPFIND, PROPPATCH, MKCOL, COPY, MOVE, LOCK,
> and UNLOCK. The method name is case-sensitive. If GET is used it will
> also restrict HEAD requests. The TRACE method cannot be limited.
>
> Warning: A <LimitExcept> section should always be used in preference to
> a <Limit> section when restricting access, since a <LimitExcept> section
> provides protection against arbitrary methods.

Steve Swift
http://www.swiftys.org.uk

RE: [users@httpd] Disable TRACE HTTP method on Apache 1.3.33

Posted by Yaniv Ofer <Of...@comverse.com>.