Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org> on 2016/02/06 19:21:02 UTC

[MENTORING?] Guiding volunteers

It is now time that folks start looking at right-sized projects that could be mentored and made available to students participating in Google Summer of Code (GSoC).

There is also a discussion, as part of community development, on mentoring generally and finding ways to make opportunities for volunteers widely-known, since many inquisitive beginners do not know about individual projects and how to find out what project opportunities for mentoring newcomers in various projects might be.  That may also give rise to generic support for what it means to be working on an Apache project and what to expect.

It would be useful to find a way to guide eager volunteers to an available AOO mentoring, GSoC-related or not.

For that, we need a way to mark tasks in the bugzilla for which there is mentoring available for interested volunteers.  (We also need the capacity to do this.)

Then there might need a way to cross-couple with what may be a community entry-point where volunteers who don't have a project in mind can find opportunities in Apache projects, including AOO if we choose to visibly offer something.

 ??? Thoughts ???

 - Dennis