Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2015/05/08 10:53:43 UTC

Dealing with an offensive post Was: Tomcat 7.0.57 - Deployment Issue

On 08/05/2015 09:25, Mark Thomas wrote:
> Wearing my list moderator, Tomcat PMC member and ASF member hats.
>
> Let me make something perfectly clear. There is no place *at all* at the
> ASF for views like those expressed by "orn amental".
>
> I would draw people's attention to the ASF code of conduct [1] that I'd
> encourage you to read if you have not already done so.
>
> Hassan, I'm sorry that you were the target of this message and I hope
> that it does not discourage you from continuing your valued
> participation here.
>
> Wearing my infrastructure hat I'll see what can be done about removing
> "orn amental" from our communities but the reality is that the open
> nature of our communities makes it pretty much impossible to enforce
> such a ban on anything like a permanent basis.

OK. A quick update on the actions taken so far.

"orn amental" has been:
- unsubscribed from the Apache Tomcat users mailing list
- blocked from re-subscribing to the users mailing list

The offensive e-mail has been reported to:
- Google
- ASF (via president@)

The next steps include:
- talking with my infra colleagues about removing the offensive material
from the archives
- removing the user from any other ASF lists
- blocking the user more widely

Mark

Re: Dealing with an offensive post Was: Tomcat 7.0.57 - Deployment Issue

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 08/05/2015 09:53, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 08/05/2015 09:25, Mark Thomas wrote:
>> Wearing my list moderator, Tomcat PMC member and ASF member hats.
>>
>> Let me make something perfectly clear. There is no place *at all* at the
>> ASF for views like those expressed by "orn amental".
>>
>> I would draw people's attention to the ASF code of conduct [1] that I'd
>> encourage you to read if you have not already done so.
>>
>> Hassan, I'm sorry that you were the target of this message and I hope
>> that it does not discourage you from continuing your valued
>> participation here.
>>
>> Wearing my infrastructure hat I'll see what can be done about removing
>> "orn amental" from our communities but the reality is that the open
>> nature of our communities makes it pretty much impossible to enforce
>> such a ban on anything like a permanent basis.
>
> OK. A quick update on the actions taken so far.
>
> "orn amental" has been:
> - unsubscribed from the Apache Tomcat users mailing list
> - blocked from re-subscribing to the users mailing list
>
> The offensive e-mail has been reported to:
> - Google
> - ASF (via president@)
>
> The next steps include:
> - talking with my infra colleagues about removing the offensive material
> from the archives

Done.

> - removing the user from any other ASF lists

User wasn't subscribed to any other ASF lists.

> - blocking the user more widely

Blocked from all Tomcat lists.

A search through the archives shows this users was briefly active some
years ago and has been silent since. I suspect a compromised account.

At this point, I'm not sure that there is much more than we can do. The
list moderators are open to suggestions for further actions that could
be taken if anyone has any suggestions.

I have started a discussion within the infra team to see if some form of
filtering of offensive content based on language is possible / practical.

Mark