Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by David Lee <da...@gmail.com> on 2008/07/02 19:59:59 UTC

Do Lucene Deletes delete the physical file? If yes, is there a way not to?

Is it possible to delete a document from the index, but not the physical
file. And also I'm wondering what the functions are that will alter the
physical files being indexed.

On a side note: what is the best way to look up information like this so I
don't have to bug the java-user mailing list for simple questions like this?
I tried googling, but didn't seem to get the information I wanted. Thanks!

David Lee

Re: Do Lucene Deletes delete the physical file? If yes, is there a way not to?

Posted by Karl Wettin <ka...@gmail.com>.
2 jul 2008 kl. 19.59 skrev David Lee:

> Is it possible to delete a document from the index, but not the
> physical
> file. And also I'm wondering what the functions are that will alter
> the
> physical files being indexed.

Documents are not deleted until you optimize the index. Perhaps they
are deleted at merge time too? Until that point documents deleted are
marked in a seperate file.

Is there a specific problem behind your question? There might be
alternative solutions.

> On a side note: what is the best way to look up information like
> this so I
> don't have to bug the java-user mailing list for simple questions
> like this?
> I tried googling, but didn't seem to get the information I wanted.
> Thanks!

Generally I'd suggest getting the source code and follow it to see
what happends. If you need documentation then there are some links here:

http://lucene.apache.org/java/2_3_2/

        karl