Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Simon Trudeau <st...@bluetreewireless.com> on 2008/10/03 16:05:41 UTC

Dependencies without version tag

I would like to add a dependency to my maven project but have it
included WITHOUT the version tag. I am currently running into problems
where the comm.jar (javax.comm) library needs to be exactly named that
way and cannot be named comm-2.0.3.jar or some other thing because
otherwise it fails. This library references a .dll and a properties
file... this must have something to do with it. That is why I don't want
my project to depend on a library with a version number. This means that
my classpath entry autogenerated must also reference jars without
version tag.

Is there a way to strip the version tag from a dependency so that it
will be reflected in the classpath entry of the jar's manifest?

Thanks.

Simon

P.S.: Any maven help in dealing with the comm.jar library is also
welcomed! :.)

Re: Dependencies without version tag

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
How are you using the JAR exactly?

In other projects we deal with this by copying the file to a new
location with the version removed at the time it needs to be used.

- Brett

--
Brett Porter
Blog: http://blogs.exist.com/bporter/