Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Chris Ringrow <ch...@ringrow.co.uk> on 2002/01/06 15:23:47 UTC

htpasswd sets size of passwd file to 0 ?

I have been running a web site on apache on a Sun SPARC station
for over a year with no problems etc.

However now when I try to add a new password using a
command line like

htpasswd -b /usr/local/apache/vhosts/ecert/passwords/.htpasswd username
password

This has worked fine for over a year, but know, all of a sudden, it
empties the file .htpasswd ( ls -al shows the size to be 0 )
which removes all of the other user names and passwords from the file.

Has anyone seen this behaviour before or is anyone able to shed any
light on it ?

There is plenty of disk space and I believe that the permissions are OK.

Apache Version : 1.3

UNIX Version:
  Release: 5.7
  Kernel architecture: sun4u
  Application architecture: sparc
  Hardware provider: Sun_Microsystems
  Domain:
  Kernel version: SunOS 5.7 Generic 106541-12 May 2000

Thanks in advance for any help or guidance.

Chris Ringrow

RE: htpasswd sets size of passwd file to 0 ?

Posted by Chris Ringrow <ch...@ringrow.co.uk>.
Thanks for the help!

With some help from demon.net I found the problem.
The /var/tmp directory was full !
Keep up the good work !
Reagrds Chris Ringrow

> I have been running a web site on apache on a Sun SPARC station
> for over a year with no problems etc.
>
> However now when I try to add a new password using a
> command line like
>
> htpasswd -b /usr/local/apache/vhosts/ecert/passwords/.htpasswd username
> password
>
> This has worked fine for over a year, but know, all of a sudden, it
> empties the file .htpasswd ( ls -al shows the size to be 0 )
> which removes all of the other user names and passwords from the file.
>
> Has anyone seen this behaviour before or is anyone able to shed any
> light on it ?

This shouldn't happen. Are you *sure* that this is the command you are
issuing? Check that you are not using the "-c" switch which creates a
new password file (although even this should not empty the file...).

Test the command in the /tmp directory to see if it works:

$ cd /tmp
$ htpasswd -b -c test.pwd fred flintsone
$ htpasswd -b test.pwd barney rubble
$ more test.pwd

should show two lines

Rgds,

Owen Boyle.

Re: htpasswd sets size of passwd file to 0 ?

Posted by Owen Boyle <ob...@bourse.ch>.